Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing Power BI Pro dashboard with Power BI non Pro user

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked multiple times, but I'm still confused. 

Can someone correct if the following understanding of mine is correct?

So, from June 1, if I don't have a Pro license, I will not be able to share a dashboard if I do not own a Pro license. Once I get a Pro license, I will be able to share a dashboard with other Pro users and non-Pro users, if my dashboard has only Power BI free content. However, if my dashboard has Power BI Pro content, I will be able to share my dashboard only with Pro users.

Thanks in advance 🙂

12 REPLIES 12
natasjamekes
Helper II
Helper II

With Webdashboard you can easily share your Power BI reports and dashboards, with an intern and external users. All you need is an e-mail address. You can try Webdashboard for 30 days and if you need any help, they will quickly react. It's available at the Microsoft App Source and for more information, you can visit the website: www.webdashboard.com 

Anonymous
Not applicable

One more question! I have some of my dashboards that pull data from SharePoint Online. As of today, this is a Power BI free feature. Are these moved into the Pro content from June 1 onwards?

The article below, states that Data from a dataset that connects to on-premises data using the Power BI Gateway - Personal or the On-premises Data Gateway is Pro content. Does this include SharePoint Online too?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-power-bi-pro-content-what-is-it/

Sorry if I sound stupid 😕 

from 1 june basically the pro and free have exactly the same functionality EXCEPT you cannot share any of it with the free license unless you expose it to everyone on the web.  So previously where you had functionality that was only for a pro users, as long as it doesn't relate to sharing/collaborating you will now be able to use that funtionality with a free license as long as you dont plan on sharing it

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg I interpreted the anouncement from Microsoft the same way you have done as well. However, the link below states that there are two kinds of content - Pro content & Free content. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-power-bi-pro-content-what-is-it/

Can you clarify what this means?

that is confusing, i wonder if this page is outdated?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This page was published on May 4th, 2017! That's the reason why I find this all confusing. 

Hi @Anonymous,

This page was published on May 4th, 2017! That's the reason why I find this all confusing. 

That page was published long time ago, and was last updated on May 4th, 2017.

Based on my understanding, the page still means something for the current Power BI Free and Pro users, as there are still some days till June 1. Smiley Happy

And the anouncement from Microsoft here:

• What capabilities are being added to the free service?

Beginning June 1, the free service will have capabilities equivalent to Power BI Pro. This includes the same 1 GB workbook size limit, up to 8 daily scheduled refreshes for datasets, and maximum 1 million rows/hour streaming data rate. We’re also providing access to all data sources, including those available through the on-premises data gateway.

• Which Power BI Pro capabilities are not available with the free service?

Peer-to-peer dashboard sharing, group workspaces (now called app workspaces), export to PowerPoint, export to CSV/Excel, and analyze in Excel with Power BI apps are capabilities limited to Power BI Pro.  

• When will these changes go into effect?

Changes to the free service will go into effect on June 1.

Regards

yeah i saw that, maybe you should tag one of the power bi staff to clarify?  

maybe read through this thread

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Moderated-Discussions/Changes-to-Power-BI-Free-are-coming-on-June-1-...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you happen to know some Power BI staff? And how do I tag someone?

just  type in an @ sign and then a list comes up, dont know their usernames, i know there is a miguel and a lucasz (might be listed in the thread i pasted)

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

affirmative 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg Thanks a lot 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.