Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andyring
Frequent Visitor

Sharing Desktop File

Hey,

I have made a report on the PowerBI desktop app and have that report saved as a pbix file on a folder on my computer. In this folder is also the excel files that I have been using to create this presentation. I am wondering if it is possible to send this folder to someone, with the pbix file and excel file, and have them be able to not only open the presentation, but also be able to make changes on the excel file and hit refresh on the desktop to update the presentation.

I am wondering this because I have tried to move the pbix and excel file attached to the presentation to a different folder on my computer, and hit refresh to get the updated data, but it doesn't work. I get an error because the path is different.

Furthermore, would the data gateway be an option? If so, could you elaborate on the gateway? Would I need the gateway to be set up on the same computer that the pbix was created? If I end up leaving, and having my company computer shutdown, how would a colleague be able to update the excel file and refresh the pbix file? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @andyring,

As you can see, the file path of Excel file (data source) is static once it is initilized. It directs to the origial location where you store the Excel file. After you move it to a new folder and send it to others, with the original file path, Power Query cannot find the source file, which causes refresh failure.

1.PNG

I am wondering if it is possible to send this folder to someone, with the pbix file and excel file, and have them be able to not only open the presentation, but also be able to make changes on the excel file and hit refresh on the desktop to update the presentation.

Yes. It is possible. After sending the folder (.pbix file and Excel file) to others, please ask recipients open .pbix file and in Query Editor mode, change the File Path to correct one (the stored location on their own machine). Then, they can click the refresh button to update dataset.

Besides, if you only want to refresh dataset in Desktop, there is no need to configure Data Gateway. Gateway is used to refresh dataset for those reports published to PowerBI Service.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @andyring,

As you can see, the file path of Excel file (data source) is static once it is initilized. It directs to the origial location where you store the Excel file. After you move it to a new folder and send it to others, with the original file path, Power Query cannot find the source file, which causes refresh failure.

1.PNG

I am wondering if it is possible to send this folder to someone, with the pbix file and excel file, and have them be able to not only open the presentation, but also be able to make changes on the excel file and hit refresh on the desktop to update the presentation.

Yes. It is possible. After sending the folder (.pbix file and Excel file) to others, please ask recipients open .pbix file and in Query Editor mode, change the File Path to correct one (the stored location on their own machine). Then, they can click the refresh button to update dataset.

Besides, if you only want to refresh dataset in Desktop, there is no need to configure Data Gateway. Gateway is used to refresh dataset for those reports published to PowerBI Service.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

This technically solves the problem and  is what I  was doing at the start after I have shared a folder in OneDrive with both the pbix files and the excel files with the data.

The challenge  now is that I have several pbix files and also several queries within each one of them which makes cooperation impossible if every time one person needs to change all the datasources. Additionally, if this person changes the datasources, then I cannot access them and have to change and revert them back again. This is because part of the filepath includes my Network ID.

Any ideas, much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.