Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

edcarden
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing Connections - How To Share Data Connections in Power BI

In Power BI Desktop is there a way to share a SQL Server database connection or any other type of cponnection that Power BI Desktop supports?

I am able to connect to a SQL Server instance thats in our vendors cloud but a co-worker who is on teh same netwrok as I is unable to do the same.  We are connecting to a SQL Server 2008R2 DB using a SQL Srever Login/DB User and password (not Windows Authentication).  For whatever reason I am able to sucesfully connect with the same SQL L9ogin+PWD that my co-worker can not.  We're both on the latest verison of Power BI.  He is on Windows 10 and I an on Windows 7 so Im not sure if thats relevant.  I was thinking that if there was someo way for me to share with him teh connection that I can get to work then maybe that woudl get aroundd whatever uis preventing him from connecting. 

Thoughts

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Unless I am mistaken about what you are trying to accomplish, I believe the answer is to use the Enterprise Data Gateway. You can setup connections there that everyone can use (if you give them access).

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.