cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edcarden Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sharing Connections - How To Share Data Connections in Power BI

In Power BI Desktop is there a way to share a SQL Server database connection or any other type of cponnection that Power BI Desktop supports?

I am able to connect to a SQL Server instance thats in our vendors cloud but a co-worker who is on teh same netwrok as I is unable to do the same.  We are connecting to a SQL Server 2008R2 DB using a SQL Srever Login/DB User and password (not Windows Authentication).  For whatever reason I am able to sucesfully connect with the same SQL L9ogin+PWD that my co-worker can not.  We're both on the latest verison of Power BI.  He is on Windows 10 and I an on Windows 7 so Im not sure if thats relevant.  I was thinking that if there was someo way for me to share with him teh connection that I can get to work then maybe that woudl get aroundd whatever uis preventing him from connecting. 

Thoughts

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Sharing Connections - How To Share Data Connections in Power BI

Unless I am mistaken about what you are trying to accomplish, I believe the answer is to use the Enterprise Data Gateway. You can setup connections there that everyone can use (if you give them access).

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 185 members 1,873 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: