Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

travissk
Frequent Visitor

Sharewinfo organization chart - how to respond to filters

I'm very happy that a visualization like the Sharewinfo organization chart is finally available in Power BI. However, it appears that, for this visual, only columns (not measures) can be used in the ID and Parent ID fields and the root node must be blank. This means I cannot figure out how to set up a people leader filter that will put a mid-level manager at the top of the org chart (i.e. "a partial view" of the org chart). Can someone tell me how to do this? This would be simple if the visualization accepted the highest-level Parent ID as the root node rather than requiring the root node to be blank.

Two other requested enhancements for this visualization - the watermark needs to be removed and tooltips doesn't seem to work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @travissk,

It seems like you are talk about third party custom visual which not provided by power bi custom visual team.

I also test on myside but it seem like only support parent-child relationship which is hard to modified and filter. I'd like to suggest you contact to author and submit requirement to confirm if this feature not support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Has anyone been sucessful with making the parent node dynamic? My org chart is quite large so will need this enable the exploration of the org chart down different branches possible. I have tried to contact the developers without any luck.  So if anyone has a workaround and can explain in a bit of detail I'd be very greatful. Thanks. Kind regards, NDE.

DustinDixon
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this link. I sent them the following message:

Hello, I'm very happy that a visualization like Sharewinfo's organization chart is finally available in Power BI. Thank you.

However, I have a few requests to make it better:

1) I need to be able to create org charts based on slicer selections, but currently this is not possible. Two options might exist: option 1 would be to allow the root node to have a value rather than requiring it to be blank; option 2 would be to allow measures to be accepted in the ID and Parent ID fields.

2) I need to be able to remove the watermark that appears in the background

3) The tooltips option does not work, please fix this

4) I would like to be able to wrap the text so long names or job titles can be fully visible

5) When I include a photo, it shows up behind the text. I would like the option of showing the photo above or to the left of the text.
alexrobe
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi @travissk!

The root cause of the issue is, that your remaining top category must no longer have a parent ID assigned.

So the challenge would be to

• find the selected top category in a hierarchy slicer -> DONE! (with a measure)
  • Replace the corresponding Parent-ID-Value dynamically with "" -> failed (in using a dynamic measure value for column calculations)

In order not to annoy the developer additionally - did you get any reply on filtering the org chart from the developer? 

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alexrobe @travissk 

Have you resolve the issue with the visual or found a workaround with formulas by any chance?

I am experiencing this same issue and tried contacting the visual developers without any luck.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks, NDE

Unfortunately I had to ditch my work with this visual and chose the Hierarchy Chart by Akvelon instead. Still a tradeoff...

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a shame... I hope the new format worked ok for you?.

I have tried a few of the org chart visuals (including Akvelon) but due to the size of my organisation I have only managed to show a portion of the hierarchy with a readable format using the Sharewinfo, so I am trying to find a workwround to make it sort of dynamic making the top employee's line manager blank via a slicer. 

I have managed to get the slicer selected value with a measure as per below but when I want to compare that result with each row it doesn't work. Not sure if I am using the right formulas or perhaps it's the format of the Selected Value I obtain as a result?

Selected Value = IF(HASONEVALUE('Index Employees'[Name]),values('Index Employees'[Name]),BLANK())

And then compare with the real data using a new column:

Compare = if('Data'[Name]=[3 Selected Value],'Data'[Name],blank())

Sounds like a very easy thing to do but haven't been able to make it work.

Not sure if you or anyone will have some ideas on to how to do this?

Thanks for your reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey @alexrobe - would you be able to share your measure? Cheers

@alexrobe wrote:

Hi @travissk!

The root cause of the issue is, that your remaining top category must no longer have a parent ID assigned.

So the challenge would be to

• find the selected top category in a hierarchy slicer -> DONE! (with a measure)
  • Replace the corresponding Parent-ID-Value dynamically with "" -> failed (in using a dynamic measure value for column calculations)

In order not to annoy the developer additionally - did you get any reply on filtering the org chart from the developer? 

Thanks!

To be honest, I looked but could not find a way to contact the developer, so I gave up. So, if someone else wants to contact them, go for it.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @travissk,

It seems like you are talk about third party custom visual which not provided by power bi custom visual team.

I also test on myside but it seem like only support parent-child relationship which is hard to modified and filter. I'd like to suggest you contact to author and submit requirement to confirm if this feature not support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.