Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Pmorg73
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sharepoint report issue - numerical values for a text column

Hi everyone

I have decided to rebuild some of my data silo reports using a sharepoint folder to open up autorefresh dataset options etc. 

I have brought in my first look up table of job numbers with locations and other info.

When I load the table with the job number at the start the location works. I loaded a slicer for location as a test and I get numerical values from a text column? I am at a loss how this is happening? There are no relationships inthis model yet as report 2020_02 is the first look up table I will use.

screen shot of reportscreen shot of report

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pmorg73,

Go to the table View and check if the information is correct or you have numbers.

Also check if the values that have numbers, if they exist, the other columns are filled.

When I made a transition from some files to sharepoint some characters like | were recognized as column break and I got one additional column and didn't even realize it because it was not uploaded on the model.
And the values in another column weren't correct.

Check also if all the steps on query are giving you correct results on location, use the simple filter option to check it.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pmorg73,

Go to the table View and check if the information is correct or you have numbers.

Also check if the values that have numbers, if they exist, the other columns are filled.

When I made a transition from some files to sharepoint some characters like | were recognized as column break and I got one additional column and didn't even realize it because it was not uploaded on the model.
And the values in another column weren't correct.

Check also if all the steps on query are giving you correct results on location, use the simple filter option to check it.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

I have been working with the original table for 6 months. There are 4 locations and they are all letters, no numerical values in there at all.

i checked its format and it was set to "ABC/123". I changed it to text and it errors (see later comment on spurious data I found while writing this)

I am getting lots of errors when "combining" the files on inserting them. Subject to other forum threads, but I am getting the issue witht the Feb 2020 update "The active item should be a query" during pull it in, but the data does then appear. May be related, may be not.

I may have spotted something. As I am building up the model I added 2020_03 files to the sharepoint folder. I had used a text filter to "contains 2020_02". this did not exclude the new files so added spurious rubbish to the column. I am going to bin this one. Put all the csv files of 12 or so reports in there before I create the inserts. Putting new stuff in the sharepoint stuffs it up

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pmorg73 ,

It seems that you have solved the problem. Right?

Best Regards,

Icey

as I managed to do the same again I think yes. I need to have individual folders on sharepoint for my data as I am still building up the number of fileneames I need. Or I need to do all my data files first so that no new ones come in to my combined query. Will close the thread now. Thanks for the help.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yeah, that's weird, I got nothing...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.