So I've come across this problem, but can't seem to find a solution. The last post here was six months ago. Is there a workaround? I tried changing the API to 14 but got a data source error instead.
The work-around I used is to set the regionalization on my sharepoint consistent with the one I'm using in Power BI, since my hunch is that the API is having issues when having different date formats (ie. mm/dd/yyyy versus dd/mm/yyyy)... eventual timezone shift you still can compensate in your power query logic.
I still don't understand why the Power BI support team needs votes to resolve bugs that harm global implementations.
I agree with @chademe - I cannot understand how saying that it is bug and not offering any work around would constitute a 'solution'. A 'response' maybe, but not a 'solution'.
The handling of DateTime data in Power BI frustrates me - it seems that unless you are using a US locale, you have to move mountains to get your DateTime data working in the way you want, and until Power BI becomes less US-centric, I fear that this will continue to be the way.
As a workaround, what I have done is loaded data from my SharePoint document library using the 'SharePoint Folder' Get Data option (to load in the binary data of the (in my case) Excel files, and then also loaded data from the same SharePoint document library but used the 'SharePoint Online List' Get Data option.
From there, I have created a one to one relationship between Source.Name (from the SharePoint Folder query) and the File.Name (from the SharePoint Online List query).
This allows me to display all data (including the modified/created date data) from the SharePoint document library metadata (i.e. SharePoint columns) alongside actual content from my corresponding Excel files.