Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharepoint excel data refresh showing corrupted data

Hi,

I am using the excel file(with mutiple data tabs) on a sharepoint location as a data source for my PowerBI dashboard. While refreshing the data through PowerBI desktop, it says source file contains corrupted data. The error points to different data tabs for corrupted data in every refresh & if i access the same source excel through a local drive location, the data refresh happens without any issue. Hence, it is not a source excel file issue. 

I have already tried cleaning the cache folder for PowerBI but with no success. Any help in resolving the corrupt data issue while refreshing sharepoint excel data in PowerBI would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mrinal

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any resolution to above issue. Still not able to refresh data from sharepoint location due to corrupted data error message

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the solution! In OneDrive (for business) there is an excel web limit of 30MB (meaning that you can't open the web version above 30MB, because then you need to 'open in excel'). This means that any connection with an excel file in OneDrive via a web link to PowerBI will crash when it is more than 30MB. So I divided my Excel files in multiple files all below 30MB now, and it works perfect!

I just had a similar issue, but it looks like you don't need all your files to be below 30MB, only those that are loaded into the preview (i.e. the first 1000 rows must be contained in files within the size limit).

I solved the issue by downloading a smaller extract of ~6MB and using that as the preview file, but was still able to combine multiple files >40MB in the overall query.

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please enable this option to have a try. If the issue still occur, please delete all steps except source and try again.

2.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem and it is very frustrating that i can't rely on being able to refresh easily.

What do you mean with deleting steps except source? which steps?

Thanks

Merel

@v-frfei-msft wrote:

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please enable this option to have a try. If the issue still occur, please delete all steps except source and try again.

2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.