Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

admiralman
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sharepoint Folder

I would like to target a folder within a Sharepoint Online library similar to the "connect to folder" functionality that exists on the local client. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I have seen some articles that state it is possible and they either are inaccurate or the method is a not feasible considering the performance would be horrible. Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @admiralman,

Based on my test, we have to list all available folders, then select those we need from the list. As mentioned in above link:

Now that we’re in, we’ll be able to see all of the files from all of the folders that we have access to in that specific site. This might be a pretty long list, so let’s do some filtering on the “Folder Path” column and select the folder where your data is being stored so you only get the files from it.

If we direct to a specific folder in URL (https://microsoft.sharepoint.com/xxxx/xxxx/Shared%20Documents/Power%20BI), it will fail to connect and prompt below error.

3.PNG

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Hi all, first time poster, long time fan.

I don't have an answer on this (I'm still looking for one myself). What I'm seeing though is an issue around setting the Data Types. When connecting to SharePoint via Power BI, the dates (e.g. date created, accessed and modified) are automatically set as the 'Date' type function.

But in my file and in Matias' screenshot below, the date accessed is null. This causes my Power BI to raise an error stating data type issues. I can't change the data type in the second step, by that point it seems to be too late.

Does that help anyone?

Ok...need to revive this thread. I have managed to follow the steps in this post and using the desktop application can connect just fine and transform my data. However, when I deploy it to the powerbi service and attempt to refresh the dataset I get the following error. I have seen this error before on my desktop after an upgrade but a) am not seeing it now and b) only see it in the service. Any ideas?

Excel Workbook: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987. Table: Query2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I managed to retrieves for certain folders.  Using the same query, I just changed the url.  But, the same query (with modified url) is either not returning any return from other folders or returning incomplete list.  Why is that so?  

This could be because it shows an inital preview of the file/folder. If you select load everything should be pulled, or transform it will pull all the required data.

I noticed this pulling tables from SAP that are 1mil lines long and only seeing first couple hundered until loading or pulling the data into the transformation staging area.

hope it helps,

Duncan

I'm having the same issue, the list is incomplete, the actual folder that I need is missing 😞 Where you able to fix this? Regards

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @admiralman

If you open up your SharePoint site in Internet Explorer and then navigate to your Document Libriary and then click on the Ribbon, there will be an option to Open in Windows Explorer.

Once that is done, in the Power BI Query Editor you can then click on Get Data from Excel file and then use the URL and the file name and connect to the file.

Another option is you could possibly do it by clicking on Get Data and then selecting Folder. And then paste in the URL from your Windows Explorer.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks but I am not looking at targeting a specific file but rather the folder. I want to be able to basically say "for every file in this folder bring in the file, perform the necessary transformations, and merge the data into my dataset so I can report on it". There is this option when targeting files on the local hard drive.

Hi @admiralman

You could possibly create a function for each file and then loop through each file into one dataset?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Sure...there are a lot of ways to attack this programmatically. I could schedule a power shell to connect and consolidate all files onto one. Does no one know how the Sharepoint folder is supposed to work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors