Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

paulc
Helper I
Helper I

Shared externally but user gets error "You don't have access to this dashboard"; no RLS

I shared a dashboard that was created using Power BI Desktop with external user.  But, when he click on the link, he cannot get in the dashboard; it is as if he doesn't have access to it. 

I don't have RLS (Role Level Security) setup in the dashboard, so I don't think that is the reason.

I tried to share another dashboard with him and it still doesn't work.  He has O365 in his environment and he uses Power BI also, so I don't think the problem is on his end.

Since not only one dashboard, but two cannot be shared externally, would there be some kind of issue in "global" setting in Power BI?  Remember, I can successfully share and I get to the message saying "You dashboard is successfully shared".

10 REPLIES 10
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi paulc,

>> But, when he click on the link, he cannot get in the dashboard; it is as if he doesn't have access to it.

Based on test, I find if you share the dashboard to external user, the report which you shared is not existed in his dashboard. The external user can only view this report by click on the link.

Screenshots:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

In your scenario, please check if your recipient Power BI service signed in account is the same one as the recipient email address. Eg: If you share the dashboard with user1@org1.com, the user needs to click on the link in shared email and signed in with user1@org1.com.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Yes, I verified that the external user is signing in and clicking with the email address I gave access to.  So, I don't think that's the issue.

I read from another post that, this same issue happend to another person, but after few days, it started to work normally again???

This is very perplexing...

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@paulc I would suggest check with your global O365 admin to see if they've blocked sharing outside organisation (i doubt though as it gives you option and you get confirmation saying shared). If the dashboard is using Pro feature then recipient you're sharing with also requires Pro feature that could be worth checking as well.

Hi @ankitpatira

Yeah, it's not that O365 blocks sharing outside organization, since I am able to share dashboard (I get message saying "You succefully shared your dashboard").  So, this is not the issue.

I discovered an interesting observation.  I shared the same dashboard with three external users.  Only one of them is able to access the dashboard and this user does NOT have O365 at his organization.  The other two that cannot access my dashboard have O365 at their organizations.

I'm not sure if having O365 is causing this issue.  Before the July (?) upgrade/release of new Power BI Desktop, the O365 external tenant was able to see my dashboard, but now he can't.  I'm suspecting latest release of Power BI is causing some external access issues.... I wish Microsoft would look into this.

Any idea? 

another observation... the external user who is on O365 in his organization, he is able to share his dashboard with me and I can access his dashboard.

I have a similar issue with a consultant who has O365 account and Power BI Pro (and so do I).  He can see the dashboards I have shared with him, but I can't see the ones he has shared with me.  The "Allow Sharing Content to External Users" in the PowerBi admin portal is "on" at both ends.   We have spent many hours with Micorsoft support personnel and all of us are stumped.  We have tried different bowsers as well.  Any other suggestions?

@InsureBI,

Let me reply back to you later this evening.  I have a potential solution for you, if indeed, your problem is same as what I had...

Here's how I discovered the root cause of the issue.

Go to "Admin" in O365.  If you're not an Admin, you'll have to contact whoever is admin at your organization.

Then, check "Users", then click "Active Users".

In my case, I had users in here that I knew who they were, but their email address were mixed up with something like "#..#".  For example, if I shared a dashboard with John.Smith@abc.com... and he couldn't access my dashboard.  When I check "Active Users" under Admin, his email would show up as "john.smith#abc#@......com", something like that...

You need to delete this user.  Then wait a while, until the user is out of cache.  Not sure exactly how long.  For me, it was just few minutes.

Then, try sharing your dashboard again OR have the other person share the dashboard.  Remember, it is the person that is sharing or giving access has the issue with Active User.

If you can't seem to get rid of or delete the bad active users, call Microsoft Support and ask for help specifically on deleting active users.

Hi paulc - I have resolved this before using your instructions below and they work. For our org the Active Users created in O365 with the #..# are external users that have been given access to sharepoint. When you remove them they can view the dashboard but then they can no longer get to our sharepoint. Still working through it all.

I have had working for both a time or two. But as time goes by and you share a new dashboard with them then they can't access the new dashboard. It all seems to be a house of cards.

I seem to have similar issue with external users and will try the method described.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.