Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

michael95677
Helper III
Helper III

Shared datasets and ability to allow users to create new measures and reports and publish

We are having difficulty finding a method of sharing a dataset and allowing users to use that dataset to create and publish their own reports. This would include ability to create new measures (Dax) and then publish themselves. Using the "service" live connection does not seem to allow that and if not using that there seems to be an issue of refreshing the data once that dataset is downloaded and modified with new columns/measures etc. 

Greatly appreciate any help on this. So far I have seen nothing that shows how to do any of this so I have to assume it may not be possible? Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
michael95677
Helper III
Helper III

There might be multiple users but generally the problem has been how to refresh the data from a dataset that has then been modified by others in that they've added their own columns or Dax measures etc. Users complain that they do not have rights to "slice and dice" the data when they download the dataset and I thought that was due to it being a "live connection" so they just needed to download and work on it within their own desktop but again then I'm thinking you have a refresh problem? 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@michael95677 , On Power bi dataset, live connection user can create their measures. But That is not the best thing if there are users who are working on a common visual file to be merged later.

You use ALM toolkit to merge dataset files

How to ALM toolkit to merge Power BI files/Meta: https://youtu.be/lio62VRkOnc

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.