Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ihartdata
Employee
Employee

Shared Data Model: Pushing new calculated columns and dimensions

I have created a PowerBI Report in PowerBI Desktop. I then publish this report into my App workspace.  I now want to create a seperate PowerBI Report in a separate PBIX file, but using the same data model from the first. I know how to do this just fine. 

Before I start creating this second report. Is there a way to ensure that if changes are made to the model created in the frst, that they will be reflected in the 2nd report? For example, can I create a data model, upload it to the App Workspace. Download the data model, create a 2nd .pbix, publish it to the app. And then add new dimensions and new calculated columns to the data model that will propegate in all of them? 

I have read so many help articles, but it's hard to read between the lines, so now I'm unsure. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Open up the Power BI Desktop with a blank file. Select Get Data, then Power BI Datasets.

Point to your workspace, then your data set you want to be identical.

Basically, the new file will treat the old file as an SSAS data source. It never needs refreshing, and will always reflect the model in the original. Change the model or refresh the data in the original and the copy will always be in sync.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

Open up the Power BI Desktop with a blank file. Select Get Data, then Power BI Datasets.

Point to your workspace, then your data set you want to be identical.

Basically, the new file will treat the old file as an SSAS data source. It never needs refreshing, and will always reflect the model in the original. Change the model or refresh the data in the original and the copy will always be in sync.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thank you @edhans !! I really appreciate the simplified instructions. Reading through all the different articles on data sets, content packs, etc. was just confusing me! 

You're welcome. Right now the downside is you can only create new reports to datasets in the same workspace. We are supposed to be getting a feature in the service that will allow us to create a report in Workspace B based on a dataset in Workspace A, but it isn't here yet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.