Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shared Apps with internal unable to see data

Hello Datanauts!

It might be a long post, please bear with me

!!! If you know a simlar link when you see this post, please post it. I could not really find one that have solutions. Thank you !!!

My company is about to publish a Power BI report to clients. But before that, we would like to test it out with some of our colleagues first. But when the app is shared with them, it is said that it contains restricted data (i.e. it showed blank visualizations)

Here are the steps we took to publish:
1. We created a pbix file in our local computer using Power BI Desktop. Datasource is connected to local Microsoft Access Database.

2. From an admin account a@myorganization.com, which is currently on Pro License Trial, we created an App Workspace named App1.

3. Then we upload the pbix file to App1. It automatically upload a Dashboard and Datasets together. So now, there are DashboardsReports, and Datasets in App1.

4. From App1, we click Publish app and gave access to b@myorganization.com, which is also currently on Pro License Trial, through Specific individuals or group.

Now from b@myorganization.com perspective:

1. Go to Apps, and click on Get apps

2. Consume the app. That's it!! It showed The visual contains restricted data

The problem can be solved if we give b@myorganization.com access to the App Workspace. BUT then, he will be able to access the Datasets tab and create report from it, even as an Contributor. We do not want for the end user to be able to access the database directly, especially for client.

Questions: How can I just share an app to end user, and let them to enjoy the report, without giving them any access to the datasets?

Here are the settings from Admin portal --> Tenant settings:

Tenant settings.JPG

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

You may take a look at the following post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/this-visual-contains-restricted-data/td-p/453643

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.