Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HXM001
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint data presenting as numbers instead of text

Hello all,

I am new to Power BI and have been trying to use the Desktop app to generate reports linked to a SharePoint list that I set up.

When I connect the data from the SharePoint list certain columns, which are set up to draw from a LookUp table, are showing up as numbers instead of text.

I believe the numbers are the same as the text entry, like an id number, but I am not sure how to resolve this.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HXM001 ,

You can try the steps below.

Open Power Query Editor, remove any step in Query Settings that change your current Text Format into Number first.

vluwangmsft_0-1668151879314.png

Then, select the orignial text column, right click to choose Change Type -> Using locale...

vluwangmsft_1-1668151879359.png

Then choose Data type and your Locale

vluwangmsft_2-1668151879365.png

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HXM001 ,

You can try the steps below.

Open Power Query Editor, remove any step in Query Settings that change your current Text Format into Number first.

vluwangmsft_0-1668151879314.png

Then, select the orignial text column, right click to choose Change Type -> Using locale...

vluwangmsft_1-1668151879359.png

Then choose Data type and your Locale

vluwangmsft_2-1668151879365.png

Best Regards

Lucien

Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @HXM001,

As I remember when you use lookup tables and they refer to another table then you also have to connect to the table the lookups refer to. The numbers should be the IDs to the other table. Depending how you get the data you can join/merge them in Power Query or relate the data in the data model view.

Best regards

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your kudos.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.