Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint data - We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. please try again

Dear All,

I have a report running that's updating on a weekly base, this report is already running for like a half year now, never have any issues. But today I get the error: "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. please try again". Its about data that's stored on a SharePoint page, when I login directly to SharePoint there aren't any issues.

Does anyone have a similar issue/ experience with this issue?

Thank you!
Kind Regards,

Ramon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yingjl ,

Thank you for your reply, I tried your steps and unfortunately, it didn't solve my issue. Finally I checked the new data set manually and I found some #N/A in it. Somehow this showed an error in PowerQuery which resulted in this error... Still strange because this error isn't referring to an error in the data set so that's confusing. 

But when I removed the #N/A's and refreshed the report again it worked, without any credential errors.

Kind Regards,
Ramon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Nataliea

I tried all the suggested Microsoft Solutions and eventually found the answer on a reddit post.

Go to the file in SharePoint and right click on it. Select “open in app” then go to to… File>info> copy path.

When you paste the path remove the “?web=1” from the end.

The issue is that if you copy link to the spreadsheet in SharePoint the default url will prompt it to open the spreadsheet in office online and the authentication won't work but if you copy the link from the native application and remove the ?web=1 it authenticates from the app

This worked!! Thanks heaps! 🙂

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can clear the credentials in data source settings and reconnect to sharepoint using the latest credentials to check whether it works. (Transform data -> Data source settings -> Clear Permissions)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This works for me after updating October 2022 version when trying to get data from Sharepoint...

Thank you for the TIP...

I am experiencing a similar issue where I am able to access my SharePoint list data source without issue but as soon as I attempt an Unpivot with the data, I'd get the same error: "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. please try again."
I have tried clearing the permission as suggested, but it did not solve the issue.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yingjl ,

Thank you for your reply, I tried your steps and unfortunately, it didn't solve my issue. Finally I checked the new data set manually and I found some #N/A in it. Somehow this showed an error in PowerQuery which resulted in this error... Still strange because this error isn't referring to an error in the data set so that's confusing. 

But when I removed the #N/A's and refreshed the report again it worked, without any credential errors.

Kind Regards,
Ramon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.