cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint Online slow refresh

As the title says.

I have seen this issue posted several times but never found anything that may help.

My reports pull from both a SQL db and several SharePoint lists. The SQL dbs will import 100,000s of records - typically faster than the time it takes for the SharePoint list, which pulls in 25,000 rows. I can see on the Data Refresh the size that has been downloaded for the SharePoint list, and it seems to be pulling in the data slower than 500kb/s - what is this?

On my Excel version of this sheet, I can use the

let
    Source = Table.Combine
    ({
        OData.Feed("mysite/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('mylist')/Items?$filter=
        Date ge '" & DateSplit(1) & "' and Date le '" & DateSplit(2) & "'"),
        Date ge '" & DateSplit(3) & "' and Date le '" & DateSplit(4) & "'"),
        Date ge '" & DateSplit(5) & "' and Date le '" & DateSplit(6) & "'")
    }),

Where the user will pick a date and it will fill a table with the dates for the month. It essentially splits the query into three, due to the 5000 limit threshold, but it is faster than it would otherwise be.

For BI, where the expectation is that the user can pick any date (ranges), I will need to have the full data imported preferably.

There is nothing demanding in my query,

let
    Source = SharePoint.Tables("mysite", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"GUID" = Source{[Id="myGUID"]}[Items],

So what gives with the SQL db being so much faster than SharePoint Online? Is it because SharePoint Online is given less resources due to it not being premium?

29 REPLIES 29

Helpful resources

Announcements
Carousel_PBI_Wave1

2023 Release Wave 1 Plans

Power BI release plans for 2023 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2023 through September 2023.

Power BI Summit Carousel 2

Global Power BI Training

Make sure you register today for the Power BI Summit 2023. Don't miss all of the great sessions and speakers!

Thank you 2022 Review

2022 Monthly Feature Releases

We had a great 2022 with a ton of feature releases to help you drive a data culture.