Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DuncanP
Advocate II
Advocate II

SharePoint Online list connection problems from Power BI Desktop

Hi

I've got an odd error connecting to a tenant SharePoint site. When I enter the SharePoint site to pull in data I get the Access SharePoint dialog box, and go to the Organizational Account. When I click to sign in, it gives me the following:
SharePointError.PNG

Sometimes it works and lets me enter sign in details, mostly I get this error.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what it even means? As errors go it's not that helpful for me to diagnose the root of the problem.

Cheers,

Duncan

Edit: Here is the text of the error for search engines to find: "The service returned a state value that doesn't match the value that was sent. This might indicate cross-site request forgery."

10 REPLIES 10
madhav25

Any thoughts on how to resolve this? My issue is with the Adobe Analytics connector, but exact issue

Few options did not help such as Clearing credentials, doing a fresh query etc.,, Just tried upgrading the next Power BI desktop version available for me, which did the trick.

So, likely I think, reinstalling the Power BI Desktop should do.

stephensklam
Frequent Visitor

This warning message will occur while edit the credential of dataflows, anybody knows why?

stephensklam_0-1620093628523.png

j7r8
Regular Visitor

I just experienced the same problem for the first time using the Adobe Analytics connector in PBI Desktop. I have tried to re-connect about 10 times and continue to get that same error message. I tried clearing my cache too. Nothing seems to help.

Before I got this message, I was experiencing intermittent connectivity issues while trying to refresh my Adobe Analytics data. When refreshing the data I got the error: "OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] Maximum retry count has been reached, and the report is not ready. Try increasing the max retry count.."

It seems like Power BI is no longer able to connect to Adobe Analytics with my credentials. I can still log into Adobe Analytics and access my reports, and the login screen in Power BI looks the same as when I log into Adobe Analytics online (Sign in by email: Organizational Account)

I would really appreciate hearing how to resolve this issue. My work is now completely broken with no solution that I can find online.

Having this same issue. Mine started happening about 2 hours ago as well

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could try turning on Tracing and when you get that error check the log.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've enabled tracing, but nothing gets added to the log when I click sign in and the error appears.

Incidentally, I also get the error with our own SharePoint Online sites, not just with partners'.

@DuncanP

Cross-Site Request Forgery looks suspicious. As the log captured nothing so I think PowerBI is innocent.

I guess that request to sharepoint site might have been identifed suspicious so the site refused the request, you'd better consult and confirm this on a dedicated sharepoint forum.

How is it going in a different  enviroment, say in your home PC?

Hi Eric

Thank you for your reply. I think you're right in that Power BI is not to blame as such, it seems more to do with Windows and how it connects via OAuth. I've seen the error posted elsewhere online by people using Excel to connect to SharePoint and CRM Online for example (although no one has provided a solution to it as far as I can see).

I've also tried it at home, and had the same error. I've got it working by simply clicking "Sign-in" again and again until it finally lets me enter my username, which I suppose is ok, but still leaves me curious.

If I do manage to turn up an answer, I'll post it.

Duncan

Click "Sign in" x 4 also worked for me. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.