Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LizBethA
Advocate I
Advocate I

SharePoint Online List - Unpivot causes OLE DB or ODBC error [DataSource.Error] SharePoint

This is a new issue and the process used to work without issue - data was refreshing daily.  New rows are added to the SharePoint list regularly but there is not many rows of data (a little over 900) but there are over 30 columns of data.

I connect to SharePoint Online list - no issue.  I then rename and remove some columns in the Power Query Editor - all is good.  However, when i try to perform an unpivot (24 columns) the error appears:

Cost Reporting ErrorCost Reporting Error

As a work around, I export the sharepoint list data to excel.  I have no problems performing the unpivot on the excel data.  Ideally, this needs to continue to work with the connection the the SharePoint list. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any ideas?  Known issue? 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @LizBethA

Do you need every columns ? If not, please create a view of your table with only needed columns and then try again

- Quentin

24 of the 30+ columns are the columns that need to be unpivoted (2 years worth of values).  the other 14 columns are needed for categorization and identification. 

No additional columns of data were added from the time it worked to the time it stopped working.  Only difference is there is more rows of data in the SharePoint list.  We tried the process on a super-charged computer (maxed out RAM) and had the same issue.  It was the 4th step in the M code (advanced editor) which caused it to error out - which is the unpivot command

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.