Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

aalfa
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint List Access to resource is forbidden

I have been through the whole internet looking for a solution to this problem, but it doesn't seem like there is a tried and true way to fix it. Once a month, my Power BI Dashboards seem to not be able to refresh when they are connected to a SharePoint list. I have the correct access to the SharePoint lists and I even go through an MFA verification process when trying to refresh. The reports refresh fine and then I get the error message in the subject title at the end of the month. Here's a list of things I have tried that have worked in the past but do not work consistently:

- Clear permissions in Power BI (local file/global)

- Accessing my company's VPN 

- Clearing my internet cache

- Changing the hierarchy of the site I want to connect to in the refresh

- Doing the refresh through the Query Editor screen

This inconsistency is really causing a hassle for me and the teams I create these dashboards for. Can anyone please tell me what is going on?

Thank you,

Alex

11 REPLIES 11
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @aalfa,

BTW what is the error that you are getting?

Is your report a monthly refresh report or a daily/weekly refresh that fails only once a month?

We have reports built on Sharepoint list and they don't seem to get this issue.

2018-06-28_7-58-28.jpg

Hi @Thejeswar, the error message is shown above.

There is no scheduled refresh - it is done manually through the Power BI Desktop version.

It seems like everyone using SharePoint lists at my firm is running into the same issue, even when using OData feeds.

I get the same error. But look at the screen shot: The three types of authentication methods are: Anonymous, Windows, and Microsoft Account. Same as what I see. 

What is missing is Organizational Account. 

Assuming this is work related, and that you have O365 for your SharePoint online site, one would assume that "Organizatinal Account" would be an option here. But it's not. Solve THAT and I bet you can get in.

If you find out how, please let us know. 

I always assumed Organizational Account was replaced by Windows Account. One in the same, no?

I think under the covers, a Microsoft Account is NOT the same as an Organizational Account, seeing as they used to make you specifiy between the types BEFORE you entered any credentials. In one case Microsoft holds the password, and in another, it is held by your organization.

But now they just SHOW you the one type, when in fact you can put in or Org credentials there and make it work. It was a stumbling block for me as the account I wanted to use was moste definitely NOT a Microsoft Account as the SharePoint site was from our O365 tenant.

For me, choosing Microsoft Account as the type, then entering my Org creds did the trick. 

Just with the user experience was a little better 😞

Microsoft account is the one I use. Did you mean organizational account is what worked for you? No clue how you would be able to pull that option up again.

Yes, I selected "Microsoft Account" as the type on the left, then put in my Organizational Account credentials. 

It threw me because, in my mind, a Microsoft Account is NOT the same as an Organizational Account. Maybe the term "Cloud Account" wold be a better descriptor for something that encompasses BOTH MS and Org accounts. 

aalfa
Frequent Visitor

After the refresh fails and I click cancel - this is the message I receive. I have full access to all these SharePoint sites and I have gone through our Company's MFA verification. I have also gone through clearing and updating my permissions in the Data Source settings.

2018-06-28_8-08-53.jpg

@aalfa,

Are you able to access the sharepoint list online in the site location where it is present.

If there is some issue with your access to the sharepoint list, even there you shouldn't be able to access the list. If you ar not able to access it online, then fix your access there. That should solve the issue....

If you are able to access the sharepoint list in the location where it is present online, then I think you should raise a ticket with Microsoft (as you say that all in your company is facing this issue) stating your issue

@Thejeswar Do I really have to pay Microsoft to open a ticket?

I am not sure about that...Smiley LOL

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.