Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

james_k_apm

SharePoint List Access to resource is forbidden

Hi All,

I have googled for this issue but not seeming to find what might be causing this.

I am tying to connect to a SharePoint Online list via the Power BI desktop but keep getting an "Access to resource is forbidden" see below:

Power BI SharePoint List Error.jpg

I know my user credentials has access to the site, I am the site owner, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @james_k_apm,

The above error could occur when using wrong log-in option to connect to SharePoint.

If your site is Office365, please enter organizational credential using the third option in the above screenshot. If your site is on premise, use Windows credentials as you mentioned. In addition, make sure that you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

For more details about connecting to SharePoint Online list from Power BI Desktop, please review this similar article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Connect-to-a-SharePoint-List-Power-Query-3226f248-f8b3-4777... .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

What if "Organizational Account" is not listed? My screen shows Anonymous, Windows, and Micrsoft Account as the three sections on the left.

FYI: I'm logged in to Power BI with my Organizational account, and I'm connecting to (ar attempting, anyway) a Sharepoint online site/list that requires my organizational account credentials.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a somewhat similar problem. I was trying to connect to an Excel file I had saved on Sharepoint. I tried to connect using the "Sharepoint folder" option, but none of the different authentication methods I tried worked. @ToddChitt I had the same issue as you where I was not seeing an "Organizational Account" option.

I got it to connect after reading this post. What I did was use the Web connector and enter the full URL where the excel sheet was located (i.e. http://companyname.com/sites/sitename/foldername/filename.xlsx). Once I did that then the "Organizational Account" option appeared and I was able to connect to the excel file.

If you are trying to connect to a list I would try the same method, just change the URL to the site where the list is located and see if that works.

Untitled.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant! Thank you. Worked 100% for me after searching for nearly an hour on this problem. 

Having the same problem here. Using Get Data > Web, and providing the full path to the Excel file stored on SharePoint did not generate an Organizational Account option, and simply fails with "Access to a resources is forbidden".

I also have this issue, for when connecting to an Excel workbook in OneDrive for Business, but seem to get the following error after I have tried to use Organizational account as suggested. The AAD log in popups up, (additionally the MFA goes through) and then it says connecting and it fails as below.

Unable to connect

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. Please update the credential type through a refresh or in the Data Source Settings dialog to continue. (Source at <mysharepointsite/personal>)

Any ideas?

Hello, Lydia.

I'd have the same problem, but when I choose the option Organizational Account and try to log in with my credentials the message below appears: 

"invalid_request: AADSTS50000: There was an error issuing a token.
Trace ID: d33114c9-4316-4808-9dc5-7bb8f2536b2b
Correlation ID: 026993e0-7f5b-4831-bf0f-4984a9ddaa53
Timestamp: 2016-10-04 19:26:47Z."

Could you help me?

accessforbidden.png

Thanks Lydia,

That was all I needed, once I used the Organisational Credentials it went through fine.

Cheers

James

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.