Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tessahurr
Employee
Employee

Share your thoughts on the new ribbon (Preview feature)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new ribbon so we can continue to improve.

Don't forget to try out the simplified ribbon too!

More information about the ribbon can be found in our blog post.

-Power BI ribbon team

88 REPLIES 88

I've never had to re-enable preview features when upgrading or updating, but I also use the Windows Store version of the app. Maybe the desktop download works differently?

Hope that is never the case. The Windows Store version tends to be updated 4-5 times a month with minor fixes shortly after the big monthly release.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

@tessahurr 

Thanks for the input, but this was the ONLY preview feature that got turned off by the update. All others that I had selected were still.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be great to hide/show the ribbon menu if you double click on it just like in Word to have a common experience.

I use this version: 2.76.5678.782 64-bit (Dezember 2019)

cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Found an odd one that only occurs when I have the ribbon enabled. If I copy and paste text boxes between reports the text always ends up as white colored font on the destination report. If I turn off the ribbon the text performs the paste correctly preserving the color.

fsim
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi !cube 

I realy like the new ribbon, but I'm disapointed that we don't have yet the font menu that was shown in the Guy in the Cube video.

As it was told above, Transform data should be labelled "power query" . 

kap_55
Frequent Visitor

I always search for format of measure in tab format not in measure tools. It's confusing for me compared to excel.

daviss62
Frequent Visitor

Hi. Not sure if I'm overlooking this, but where is the "Sort By Column" button/option that was on the previous ribbon under "Modeling"?

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @daviss62 

Look to new "Column tools" Ribbon which appears if select a column in Fields Pane

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn
daviss62
Frequent Visitor

Ahhh...I see. I was clicking a measure instead of a column. *Face palm*. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone,

I want to share a bug within the german Power BI Desktop version "2.75.5649.961 64-bit (November 2019)". I have enabled the preview feature for the new ribbon and if you click on "File" there is a bug with the "options and settings" section:

Bild 362.png

billmanh2
Regular Visitor

Missing core features, 

Hotkeys have been disabled. Quick Access Toolbar is removed. This forces the user to do everything with the mouse. While this does pander to a less experienced audience, it makes often-repeated tasks more time consuming. Experienced developers value thier time and would prefer cast often-repeated steps into quick commands (called Hotkeys). This is common in every development platform that has ever been built.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Few things I've noticed:

Good job!:

1) Visually the new ribbon interface is cool!

2) Hovering over things in the new ribbon feels nicer!

Could improve:

1) Where did the "save" icon go?

2) Graying out of Table tools and Column tools, made me miss them at first and I though functionality such as "Sort By Column" had been lost

3) I was confused by the "Transform Data" name, previously "Edit Queies", I thought functionality for navigating to the query editor had been removed.

jonasarnout
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi

Overall a significant improvement!

I would like Power Query better than Transform Data, but I can live with both choices.

I like the simplified ribbon a lot. it is more in theme with other MS applications

Please Add a QAT

Something that was not yet fixed:

I use Ditto Clipboard manager.

among other uses it provides me with an easy library of M-code snippets that i use often.

With the introduction of intellisense, the need for this is somewhat covered by PBi itself, but still I like to use Ditto as i can in other applications (and as I used to be able to use in previous versions of PBi as well. sadly enough i cannot remember the version this stopped working).

Current behaviour is that whenever my cursor is in the formula bar in the PQ Editor or in the Advanced Editor for PQ, the current focus is lost and I have to click again in the area where i want to past something from Ditto.

Ditto still works when defining measures in PBi

I have tested this in the Store version and website version both 64bit and both with the new ribbon feature enabled and disabled.

Great Job!

DenisBergeron
Helper I
Helper I

Having to switch to Column tab instead of having this on the main tab make me doing to much miles for the same thing, so my mpg is going down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could have made the QAT more customizable (e.g. allow drag-drop rearrange) instead of removing it.

maulopez
Advocate I
Advocate I

Don't like it, really. Icons are too big. A very ineficient use of the window's real state. The layout is confusing and the emergent tabs have no need to be because in Power BI Desktop there are not that many commands as to be in the need of having them appear and disappear based on the different contexts. In the Nov 2019 video update, you said that the new ribbon was more Excel like, but it doesn't resemble Excel almost at all. Excel and Office Desktop apps have a mature UI, including the ribbon. Power BI new ribbon and the whole Power BI Desktop UI for that matter, looks and feels really immature, and the new ribbon is making it worse, in my opinion. My humble suggestion is for you guys at Power BI Desktop devs to ask for help from the Office team, or a team in charge of so many other Microsoft applications, and come up with a Power BI Destop UI that really looks and feels as a serious piece of software. Take advantage of 40 years of MS experience in developing UIs, because right now the whole experience is light years behind other mature MS apps. It's a shame because the rest of the Power BI platform is great, very powerfull and I'm speaking from almost two years of experience with it. Hope this comment helps and is not taken just as a complaint. I'm going back to the old ribbon for the time being.

nsc
Advocate II
Advocate II

Good improvements. As many others have said:

1. Save option missing (good that you are working on it)
  2. Search in the File menu

Also perhaps the ability to modify the extra options in Home->Data so that if you often use something other than Excel, Power BI Datasets or SQL Server you could put it others.

/Niels

BetterIdeaGroup
Helper II
Helper II

Another VOTE for the Power Query brand - Changing the name weakens that brand.

I think that brand has alot of power when you consider you can take a transformation from Excel and bring it right into PowerBI. Pragmatically, this let's analysts do the first pass at data cleaning and then hand it over to IT. 

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Seems like change for the sake of change, present system wasn't broke - removing save button, renaming edit queries, new pointless insert tab and generally moving stuff for no real reason. Will be leaving it disabled unless it magically permits dark mode at some point in the future which frankly should be prioritised over the likes of this

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1) You cannot minimize the new ribbon by double clicking

(2) The save button is not fixed to the top left

PBnJason
Frequent Visitor

I know both of these have been noted as future updates, but I'll just add my two cents in hopes that more feedback equals higher priority.

• Save button on the ribbon - this is a big one
  • Updated ribbon in Power Query also

Otherwise, great work!  Thanks for the update!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.