Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new personalize visuals experience so we can continue to improve.
-Power BI Creators team
its Very use full feature.. but only concern don't want to show all measures and table sure to users , can we have the option to restrict or allow to specific measures/tables to tag.
Note: that this (hiding columns/measures from Personalize Visual) is actually possible now by using the "Hide" functionality in Power BI Desktop. This then hides the measures/columns that you do not want your end users to see in the Service. It does not allow you to do this for each visual, but does allow you to limit what can be used across the report, within any visuals that have Personalize Visuals turned on. I know this isn't exactly what everyone is wanting, but it is working for our users for the time being. I hope this helps someone :-).
I typically do this in the Relationship/Model Tab. This allows you to mass select, and also allows you to organize columns/measures into "Display Folders", making it much easier for end users to find grouped measures.
Thanks for the tips, they are useful.
I still feel the approach for this is super complicated when it doesn't need to be though. Give report creators control with DAX and none of this is necessary surely?
If the CEO wants to switch between product group A and product group B for 5 visuals he's not going to want to fiddle with these tiny icons and multiple column options across the report. Neither will 99% of other report consumers across the organisation. Those that do can just have access to the designer.
This might be really simple compared to the use cases other people have, but the ability for people to personalize tables (and matrix tables) with this feature is huge for us.
What stops it from being easily adoptable is:
This feature is going to be great for my company. I do have 3 things that could be improved upon:
Other than these items this feature is great!
Also - our team has been using the "hide" functionality to only show columns and measures that we want end users to have access to. This has been working for us for now.
I came here to this thread to support Bullet Point #3 as much as possible. I support this idea. If users can Personalize the visual and then leave bookmarked Comments to other users, it would be awesome if the recipient can arrive at the Personalized Visual.
To add to my earlier comment,
At minimum restrictions on which fields can be used need to be set individually for the different elements (Axis, Legend, Values) otherwise there will still be scope for issues and confusion.
From my perspective, It would be much more useful to simply enable the use of DAX to set these elements, users could select from dropdowns set up by the report designer. This is how many other BI tools function and gives much greater flexibility i.e change multiple visuals at the same time
I have two comments to this freat idea of personalize (my example is on table visualisation).
1) Possibility to move up/down the values (columns)
2) Possibility to roll the values (columns) in Personalize by the simply scroll bar. In this moment when I have high number of values (columns) not all are visible on screen.
Considering the client wants to deliver this solution to his clients using a portal? and he has Power Bi Premium.
Is it possible to deliver the power BI free on the portal, instead of power BI Embedded?
Or using Premium license is it possible to use embedded and the final client see these options?
what is the solution to offer this feature to the final client that needs to access the reports on a portal ?
Thank you for adding this feature. For me it's a usefull feature. I'd like to see three improvments.
To understand the issue, here is my simple scenario: I have two measures to show sales as revenue and as amount. I have a chart that shows sales as revenue by product category. This is the published configuration. Then the consumer wants to see the chart using the amount measure instead of the revenue measure. Basically this scenario is suported, but:
A bit late to the party, but only just pushed this out today.
here are a few items for consideration...
1. I agree with the feedback from others for the need to only show certain dimensions or measures. The model may be too complex for the average user to understand (and could lead to errors) and often we just want them to interact with some dimensions or measuures. Ideally this should be controlled at the visual level.
2. Similar to the above, we also would like to limit the what visuals. Right now every option shows up, it would be a lot more user friendly if we could limit to only key options (e.g. we wouldn't want to show the Python visial or Q&A option, etc).
3. Please add the option to control this from desktop (not just the service). The reason is, we could then save versions of the visual as global report bookmarks (i.e. preset views for the end user). Right now the only option to do this is to overlay multiple visuals on top of eac hother and then hide/show them and then set a bookmark for each version. This would reduce the development time and file size if developers could interact and save global bookmarks. without this, i'd have to go to each user and set their bookmarks for them. While some users would like to do this on their own, others just want to have it set for them.
The feature to personalize visuals as a reader is great! Something users have been complaining about a lot.
After the first tests I see the following limitations that I would appreciate to see "lifted" soon:
1) When changing the visual type to a matrix I cannot remove the totals which appear by default
2) I cannot change the order of fields in the rows of a matrix - need to remove all and add again if I want to change the order
3) The field names in the context menu are cut - so a user who is not 100% familiar with the data base won't find the correct fields (and even as a report owner you have to guess)
4) I cannot apply any conditional formatting to the new changed visual (e.g. matrix)
Amazing new addition and been waiting for this one to come out, so super excited that this is released.
Sadly I have to echo the other comments that it will only become useful for us once we can limit the fields available to the end user. The entire model will be too much and too confusing for the majority of people.
The second point mentioned by others, is the ability to toggle the default on/off for a visual to have personalizations available. This would make the introduction to reports with many visuals (but only one you want on) more efficient.
With primarily the first change, this will transform the way our end users utilize reports. Lots of happy customers once this is available.
Thanks for your hard work!
Can you make it so that other reports based on a dataset with personalization enabled inherit the same settings? I noticed the feature only works on uploaded pbix file directly.
I also agree with the other commenters that being able to limit the fields available to the user would be a great feature as well.
Fantastic addition! And can finally avoid multiple similar charts clogging up dashboards. Power to the users! Glad you have bookmarks and a reset button though 😉
Great comments so far on this post for your team, mine (to repeat or like is to vote!) in order, first one being critical of course:
This is really bringing things forward in a good way, keep up the good work!
Absolutely love this new feature. A couple of improvements I can think of would be:
It's a bit buggy at the moment. Once I've selected something like 'First/Last' I can't untick it to just show the field value.
I am also unable to scroll down the list of values if there are more fields on the visual than will fit on my screen.
I'd like the ability to have the 'Do not summarize' option for numerical fields on table visuals.
I share many other's view on the visual in terms of the end user's access to all the data fields... I'd like to manage what fields the consumer has access to in order to avoid confusion...
But secondly, this is a simple one, in the visual headers options of the formatting pane, have the enable personalisation feature off by default, otherwise I find myself deselecting it on EVERY visual in my report bar one....
Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.
Click here to read more about the October 2021 Release!
Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!
Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!