Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Share your thoughts on the new personalize visuals experience (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new personalize visuals experience so we can continue to improve.

-Power BI Creators team

88 REPLIES 88
cdlawrence
Frequent Visitor

This is a fantastic addition. Glad you have added perspectives.

Would be great if - once personalization is turned on for the report - there was a way to disable personalization for all visuals so a report creator can then go enable just the few visuals that should have personalization - as opposed to having to go through multiple visuals in an existing report and disabling the feature one-by-one for all but a few visuals. Hopefully you have that in the works already!

I also agree with other comments stating a way to drag the order of rows/columns/metrics is needed - as well as a way to scroll when the personalization editing pop-up gets too long.

rdg515
Resolver I
Resolver I

This is a great feature, but there's a bug in Chrome wherein if you have a table with 50 columns (for example) and the user wants to remove the 50th column using the Personalize feature, they can't scroll down the list of fields.

Also, I think it would be better if the user personalization settings were saved so that they see those same settings when they revisit the report.  As a workaround, they can create a personal bookmark after they've made their "personalizations".

Grenoble
Helper I
Helper I

Very promising feature!

I've for long wanted to give end-users the possibility to change the legends of visualizations. This make it possible without using bookmarks where I hide/show visuals with different legends.

In the latest update we are also able to create our own perspectives. This is a great step forward but I would also like to see the following:
- The ability to select different perspectives for the legend, for the values, for the axis etc. and also different perspectives in different visuals. It could otherwise get confusing for users if they can chose from options not appropriate for the field.

- I'd like to be able to turn off/on the possibility for a user to change the dimension/value for certain fields (for example: making it possible for a user to change the legend but not the axis on a certain visual). It could otherwise get confusing for users if they can change to much.

jvembenil
Frequent Visitor

Personalized Visuals are an awesome feature of Power BI. After demoing the feature in combination with personal bookmarks our keys users minds were blown and they convincingly stated we can replace 80-90% of our legacy reporting app.

One of the key asks that would help move the needle higher is that ability to sort the fields (in a matrix), either drag drop or move up and down without having to add/remove fields.  

Great Job on this feature! Please keep making improvements!

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are loving this feature so far. It is exactly what we are trying to build for our customer. Things we would love to see from this feature are:
1) Being able to view it in the embedded view.

2) Limiting the data that the user has access to without hiding it in the report.

3) Giving the user the ability to edit their own chart and axis title for their customised graphs.

4) Selecting a datetime value as it is without being forced to choose it as hierarchy.

We look forward to seeing how this feature evolves with time. Thanks to the people working hard behind the scene to deliver it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would be cool if you could personalise a text box - - e.g. hitting personalise this visual on a text box means the end user could edit/ add their own text.

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

LOVE the potential of personalize visuals.

Like others, I found the full list of all tables and fields to be overwhelming.

Someone may have mentioned this already, but I think that some tabs could help out, as in editing the pivot table fields in Excel.

The fields menu for pivot tables shows two tabs: Active and All. Active shows all fields for Active tables, whether selected or not. This would definitely simplify interacting with a data model that has multiple fact tables. 

pivot table fields active all.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another piece of feedback received from one of our users testing this new functionality:    

When personalizing graphs, the coloring of the graphs get defaulted; would be better to be able to set colors to see the data better (in one example, defaulted to gray scale vs. color and color would be easier to view).  
Thanks.

What can help here is customizing your default colors in the theme

vsmurli
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Great feature!

One issue our users have reported: Once the user clicks on Personalize Visual from the Visual Header, the Fields well is too narrow and only shows the first 12-13 characters in each field.  So instead of displaying this:

Units Sold - This Month

Units Sold - Last Month

It displays:

Units Sold - ...

Units Sold - ...

Widening the pane, having tooltips, or having a left/right scroll bar will help.  Thanks!

nmoreir2
Frequent Visitor

This is just fantastic and one of the reasons why we are planning to move our Self-Service platform to PowerBI!

Its one of the most requested features from our user base - namelly when we apply this to matrix visuals where on the fly users can change the dimensions and measures.

Any clue when will this hit GA? I dont see it in the roadmap

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very cool feature! Great for end users.

We have a matrix visual that shows information in a little more detail, for personalistion for this matrix would it possbile to let users move the order of the fields for drilling down? 

For example I add produce description into the drill-down but I want it to be 2nd in the drill-down, not last. Just a pain to have to remove all the fields. Being able to move fields up/down would be very handy!

Thanks 

Moving fields exmaple.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thrilled to have this new feature available to us and have begun experimenting with it.  While it's a huge step forward in enabling end users to be able to self-serve some of their ad-hoc reporting requirements, there are a few limitations with the current version that I hope you will address:

• In the case of a table with numerous columns, if the list of fields extends beyond the window display, you are not able to scroll up or down the list, so are limited to seeing the first n fields that fit in the window display; scrolling should be enabled.
  • When adding a new field to a table, it is added to the end of the list of fields and there is no ability to change column sequence (other than removing/re-adding fields in the right order to achieve desired sequence); drag and drop or other column reordering should be enabled.
  • While you can save a bookmark to save your visualization, if you share that bookmark with another user via Comment feature, your filters are shared, but not the new visualization (reverts to default visualization).  It would be ideal to be able to share custom reports with other users.
  • Most visual attributes of a chart cannot be changed, including titles / chart labels.   This can create misalignment between the previous title / labels and the new data content based on my personalization; ideally user should be able to modify titles / labels as well.

Thanks for taking this feedback into consideration.   Look forward to forthcoming enhancements to this very cool feature.  

Yes sharing personalized views cannot be done anywhere I beleive.

This is kind of missing feature, that would be really useful.

I don't know if there was any news on this...hard to follow with all the comments here.

I support and agree with all these points.  I think Bullet Point #2 has been Completed already.

Bullet Point #3 would be awesome and is why I came here today.  I want my users to be able to Personalize Visuals and then leave Comments to other users, allowing the recepients to return to the bookmarked Comment and still see the Personalized Visual.  Today, the personalization is not retained in the bookmarked Comment. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it looks like it could be really helpful for some more advanced end users. However,  in order to use it really essential that report creators can specify which fields or measures from the report can be used in the personalised visuals area by end users. Otherwise you end up with end users having access to a lot of data that would be irrelevant for them to look at and they won't know what might be relevant or not. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This feature is very exciting! I've got a lot of users champing at the bit to try it out.

One issue that we've stumbled across so far is that there is no ability to scroll down in the list of fields in the report within the Personalize pane. I've included a screenshot below (with field names blurred) from a table that has dozens of columns. There are at least a dozen more fields below the last one listed, and we have no way to scroll down.

personalize.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

This feature has a lot of potential for our end-users. However, it is not giving us the results we would expect. We are trying to use the feature with the Table visual but whenever an end-user removes a column and saves a Personal bookmark, the table visual removes all the conditional formatting (font colors, URL links) on the table and resizes the columns (when auto-resize is set to off). 

Is removing conditional formatting a bug?

Also, someone else mentioned but it would be ideal for an end-user to re-order the values (drag and drop) rather than having to remove a bunch of values and adding them in the order they want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great feature!

+1 on the following points that have been prevously been made:

1. Limit the values (columns) that can be selected.

2. Alow for drag/drop to rearrange values 

3. In the "Values" window, long field names are being cut off and makes it difficult to select the correct one. Either an expandable window or a "hover to see complete name" approach is desired.

dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

Great feature.  One specific fix required:

Need to be able to expand the size of the field selector box.  If you use folders for fields (as we do) it indents the field name so cannot read it.  And doesn't display the full field name on hover-over.

Thanks!

Dan

awhiteway
Helper I
Helper I

First off - LOVE this feature. Thank you so much!

Couple of things that would be useful:

• Ability to drag and drop (like to rearrange fields already pulled from the field list)
  • Ability to hover over fields and see the full name or for a larger window. Many of ours are cut off and there's no way to see what their name is

I know perspectives is coming, and I am just hoping that we have the easy ability to allow the user to see all of the current unhidden fields (like the default is today) and us not needing to manually select fields on each visual. We've put a ton of work into creating a clean data model and hoping to allow them to use it at their will.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.