Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Share your thoughts on the new personalize visuals experience (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new personalize visuals experience so we can continue to improve.

-Power BI Creators team

88 REPLIES 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Team, @SujataNarayana ,

This is a much-needed function, for those "heavy users" for the business. Especially for the ones who always want more and more...

I tried this and was wondering what's the best practise for publishing reports with this preview turned on.

Based on my testing if I re-publish (or update/refresh) a report I have to turn on the feature again. Also, it seems to me that after this re-publish the personalised visual disappears even if I save as a bookmark.

Thanks a lot!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the new feature. 

As an improvement please make the Personalise this visual icon available also in the Focus view layout. 

Best regards,

Michal

SJS
Regular Visitor

Dear Power BI Creators team,

Nice new feature! This will be very useful to our end users: instead of being limited to the 'fixed' graphs that we (as the report authors) provide, they will be able to choose what they want to see plotted.

However, I must agree with many others here in that two features are essential:

1. The report creator should be able to limit the fields that the end user can choose from.
  2. There needs to be a "Do not aggregate" option (which should be the default) for the fields that the end user chooses for the Axis/Value.

In particular, the second option is crucial for our use case, in which we are plotting scientific data, which should not be summed/averaged/etc.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

JasonC_XBI
Advocate I
Advocate I

I love the idea of this feature, but would request a minor adjustment to allow me to fully ustilise this feature.

At present the feature impacts every visual on the report, and the only way to turn the personalise feature off is going through the laborious task of deselecting it in the Format settings.

I would prefer one of two options:
1. have the personalise icon in Power BI Desktop act as a on/off toggle, allowing you to easily select which visuals you want to offer this feature to.

2. have a toggle in the options, current file, report settings where you can alter the default behaviour, so that either all visuals have it activated, or all visuals have it deactivated.  Then you only need to worry about altering the personalise visual format on those you specifically want to differ from your default.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Users lose the ability to Persionalize when switching the visual to Focus Mode. Please allow this feature in Focus Mode.

I support this idea.  Being able to Personalize the Visual while in Focus Mode would feel much more natural and give the user more screen real-estate to review the resulant display while they are in the act of personalizing.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Please consider this for ANY new feature related to Visualizations:

Please also include how the setting can be controlled via an entry in the THEME JSON file.

Here's the scenario: I have several reports, each with several pages, with several Visualizations. I want to enable this cool new feature but ONLY for a few select visuals. After enabling it for the report, I need to go through each and every visual to turn it off. 

But it's just simply another PROPERTY like Border On/Off or Title or anything else and should be controllable in the JSON Theme file.

Please tell us the property name to be set in the theme file.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ability to disable this feature at a report level, rather than visual level would be great.

unais
Helper V
Helper V

Hi.. @SujataNarayana 

its Very use full feature.. but only concern don't want to show all measures and table sure to users , can we have the option to restrict or allow to specific measures/tables to tag.

@unais , @Anonymous , @bmarshall , @Anonymous , @EJW , @Anonymous , @FrankPreusker , @itchyeyeballs , @DQuigg 

Note: that this (hiding columns/measures from Personalize Visual) is actually possible now by using the "Hide" functionality in Power BI Desktop. This then hides the measures/columns that you do not want your end users to see in the Service. It does not allow you to do this for each visual, but does allow you to limit what can be used across the report, within any visuals that have Personalize Visuals turned on. I know this isn't exactly what everyone is wanting, but it is working for our users for the time being. I hope this helps someone :-).

I typically do this in the Relationship/Model Tab. This allows you to mass select, and also allows you to organize columns/measures into "Display Folders", making it much easier for end users to find grouped measures.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Display-Folder-Property-in-Power-BI-Desktop/ba-p/739281

Hi @MBonnett 

Thanks for the tips, they are useful.

I still feel the approach for this is super complicated when it doesn't need to be though. Give report creators control with DAX and none of this is necessary surely?

If the CEO wants to switch between product group A and product group B for 5 visuals he's not going to want to fiddle with these tiny icons and multiple column options across the report. Neither will 99% of other report consumers across the organisation. Those that do can just have access to the designer.

This might be really simple compared to the use cases other people have, but the ability for people to personalize tables (and matrix tables) with this feature is huge for us. 

What stops it from being easily adoptable is:

1. No drag-and-drop of fields e.g. to re-order columns to your preference
  2. Needs ability for the report author to configure this feature on a per-visual basis e.g. you can only choose from these fields, you can only make this into these visuals
MBonnett
Advocate II
Advocate II

This feature is going to be great for my company. I do have 3 things that could be improved upon:

1. Ability to scroll in the Personalize Visuals window. If too many columns/fields are added there is currently no way to view all of them, making it very tedious/impossible to edit.
  2. Ability to drag and drop to rearrange items in the Personalize Visuals pop out window.
  3. In testing the "comments" functionality does not seem to be properly sharing that bookmark

Other than these items this feature is great! 

Also - our team has been using the "hide" functionality to only show columns and measures that we want end users to have access to. This has been working for us for now.

I came here to this thread to support Bullet Point #3 as much as possible.  I support this idea.  If users can Personalize the visual and then leave bookmarked Comments to other users, it would be awesome if the recipient can arrive at the Personalized Visual.

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

To add to my earlier comment,

At minimum restrictions on which fields can be used need to be set individually for the different elements (Axis, Legend, Values) otherwise there will still be scope for issues and confusion.

From my perspective, It would be much more useful to simply enable the use of DAX to set these elements, users could select from dropdowns set up by the report designer. This is how many other BI tools function and gives much greater flexibility i.e change multiple visuals at the same time 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have two comments to this freat idea of personalize (my example is on table visualisation).

1) Possibility to move up/down the values (columns) 

2) Possibility to roll the values (columns) in Personalize by the simply scroll bar. In this moment when I have high number of values (columns) not all are visible on screen.

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering the client wants to deliver this solution to his clients using a portal? and he has Power Bi Premium.
Is it possible to deliver the power BI free on the portal, instead of power BI Embedded?
Or using Premium license is it possible to use embedded and the final client see these options?

==

what is the solution to offer this feature to the final client that needs to access the reports on a portal ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for adding this feature. For me it's a usefull feature. I'd like to see three improvments.

To understand the issue, here is my simple scenario: I have two measures to show sales as revenue and as amount. I have a chart that shows sales as revenue by product category. This is the published configuration. Then the consumer wants to see the chart using the amount measure instead of the revenue measure. Basically this scenario is suported, but:

1. I cannot adujst the sorting to "by amount"  after changing the measure to "amount" and store this setting with the bookmark. If the chart was sorted by the measure in the values field of the visual, and I change the measure that is used there, the chart should still be sorted by the measure in the vaules field, which is now "amount" with no additional interaction required. The, after changing the measure to "amount", sorting should offer me to choose between category and amount and no longer to choose between category and revenue.
  2. The titel does not adjust, even if I used default generated title and did not name the visual manually. The title of the chart with sales amount by category is titled "Revenue by Categrory". Please, as long as I did not overwrite the title for the visual, update generated titles when personalizing fields or measures used.
  3. I'd like to predifine such bookmarks that offer different visualizations of the same visual in Power BI desktop and publish them for all consumers, instead of having this feature work with personal bookmarks only.

Thank you very much, and keep up the good work!
twalsh0625
Advocate I
Advocate I

A bit late to the party, but only just pushed this out today.

1. A cool feature, but totally have to agree with the consesus here that limiting data exposure as well as who can have the feature at all. Some of my users are trustworthy with charts, others will turn a by date line chart into a pie if left unsupervised...
  2. One thought I haven't seen is the ability for the workspace/app owner to see what is being personalized. If I have a visual that is being tweaked by every user, then I should probably take a look at that as it's clearly not meeting the report consumer needs.
Anonymous
Not applicable

here are a few items for consideration...

1. I agree with the feedback from others for the need to only show certain dimensions or measures.  The model may be too complex for the average user to understand (and could lead to errors) and often we just want them to interact with some dimensions or measuures. Ideally this should be controlled at the visual level.

2. Similar to the above, we also would like to limit the what visuals.  Right now every option shows up, it would be a lot more user friendly if we could limit to only key options (e.g. we wouldn't want to show the Python visial or Q&A option, etc).

3. Please add the option to control this from desktop (not just the service).  The reason is, we could then save versions of the visual as global report bookmarks (i.e. preset views for the end user).  Right now the only option to do this is to overlay multiple visuals on top of eac hother and then hide/show them and then set a bookmark for each version.  This would reduce the development time and file size if developers could interact and save global bookmarks.  without this, i'd have to go to each user and set their bookmarks for them.  While some users would like to do this on their own, others just want to have it set for them.

Carina1178
Regular Visitor

Hi!

The feature to personalize visuals as a reader is great! Something users have been complaining about a lot.

After the first tests I see the following limitations that I would appreciate to see "lifted" soon:

1) When changing the visual type to a matrix I cannot remove the totals which appear by default

2) I cannot change the order of fields in the rows of a matrix - need to remove all and add again if I want to change the order

3) The field names in the context menu are cut - so a user who is not 100% familiar with the data base won't find the correct fields (and even as a report owner you have to guess)

4) I cannot apply any conditional formatting to the new changed visual (e.g. matrix)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.