cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Share your thoughts on the new personalize visuals experience (preview)

Hi,

I have two comments to this freat idea of personalize (my example is on table visualisation).

1) Possibility to move up/down the values (columns) 

2) Possibility to roll the values (columns) in Personalize by the simply scroll bar. In this moment when I have high number of values (columns) not all are visible on screen.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

To add to my earlier comment,

At minimum restrictions on which fields can be used need to be set individually for the different elements (Axis, Legend, Values) otherwise there will still be scope for issues and confusion.

From my perspective, It would be much more useful to simply enable the use of DAX to set these elements, users could select from dropdowns set up by the report designer. This is how many other BI tools function and gives much greater flexibility i.e change multiple visuals at the same time 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This feature is going to be great for my company. I do have 3 things that could be improved upon:

1. Ability to scroll in the Personalize Visuals window. If too many columns/fields are added there is currently no way to view all of them, making it very tedious/impossible to edit.
  2. Ability to drag and drop to rearrange items in the Personalize Visuals pop out window.
  3. In testing the "comments" functionality does not seem to be properly sharing that bookmark

Other than these items this feature is great! 

Also - our team has been using the "hide" functionality to only show columns and measures that we want end users to have access to. This has been working for us for now.

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi.. @SujataNarayana 

its Very use full feature.. but only concern don't want to show all measures and table sure to users , can we have the option to restrict or allow to specific measures/tables to tag.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@unais , @dheim , @bmarshall , @TallyMan , @EJW , @K-Kol , @FrankPreusker , @itchyeyeballs , @DQuigg 

Note: that this (hiding columns/measures from Personalize Visual) is actually possible now by using the "Hide" functionality in Power BI Desktop. This then hides the measures/columns that you do not want your end users to see in the Service. It does not allow you to do this for each visual, but does allow you to limit what can be used across the report, within any visuals that have Personalize Visuals turned on. I know this isn't exactly what everyone is wanting, but it is working for our users for the time being. I hope this helps someone :-).

I typically do this in the Relationship/Model Tab. This allows you to mass select, and also allows you to organize columns/measures into "Display Folders", making it much easier for end users to find grouped measures.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Display-Folder-Property-in-Power-BI-Desktop/ba-p/739...

Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi @MBonnett 

Thanks for the tips, they are useful.

I still feel the approach for this is super complicated when it doesn't need to be though. Give report creators control with DAX and none of this is necessary surely?

If the CEO wants to switch between product group A and product group B for 5 visuals he's not going to want to fiddle with these tiny icons and multiple column options across the report. Neither will 99% of other report consumers across the organisation. Those that do can just have access to the designer.

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

This might be really simple compared to the use cases other people have, but the ability for people to personalize tables (and matrix tables) with this feature is huge for us. 

What stops it from being easily adoptable is:

1. No drag-and-drop of fields e.g. to re-order columns to your preference
  2. Needs ability for the report author to configure this feature on a per-visual basis e.g. you can only choose from these fields, you can only make this into these visuals
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

The ability to disable this feature at a report level, rather than visual level would be great.

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Please consider this for ANY new feature related to Visualizations:

Please also include how the setting can be controlled via an entry in the THEME JSON file.

Here's the scenario: I have several reports, each with several pages, with several Visualizations. I want to enable this cool new feature but ONLY for a few select visuals. After enabling it for the report, I need to go through each and every visual to turn it off. 

But it's just simply another PROPERTY like Border On/Off or Title or anything else and should be controllable in the JSON Theme file.

Please tell us the property name to be set in the theme file.

Thanks

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Users lose the ability to Persionalize when switching the visual to Focus Mode. Please allow this feature in Focus Mode.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Don't miss the Power BI Dev Camp this week!

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Kudoed Authors