Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Share your thoughts on the new personalize visuals experience (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new personalize visuals experience so we can continue to improve.

-Power BI Creators team

88 REPLIES 88
DQuigg
Advocate III
Advocate III

I looked forward to this feature since it was shown at last year's MBAS. Unfortunately it looks like a big let down at this point. Hopefully the first release with significant improvement to come. 

First, there is no ability to preview its usage in the PBI Desktop. Clicking on the icon in the visual header does nothing. It seems to be only available in the service and it is not yet supported in the Embedded API (we are an ISV).

That said, it would be phenomenal if we can control what measures and columns are available. It currently exposes the entire data model which is wildly dangerous and would cause way more problems than it would solve.  

I hope that these things will be taken into account and the report author will be design into their reports the amount of rope they want their report consumers to have. We don't want to give them a speedboat with no drive training. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is necessary that it is possible to limit the user's nevegability, otherwise the user may carry out relations that are not consistent.

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

We have been waiting a long time for this feature but are now concerned that it won't be usable.

Without the ability for the report author to control the specific fields available to the user the outcomes could be dire.

Most users will lack the knowledge and confidence to pick from a huge list of fields. If they do pick it could easily result in missleading or incorrect outputs.

edit - my first impressions may be wrong but it feels like you have made a simplified report editor for analysts rather than a way for normal users to explore data.

FrankPreusker
Advocate III
Advocate III

The personalization feature was the first thing I had to try out in PBI Service and it works brilliant! I find it especially useful in combination with the ability to save personal bookmarks. Of course there are a couple of things which should be shaped:

1. At the moment, the user get's access to the full data model, which can be quite confusing. (I know there is work ongoing to define perspectives in the future release. Also I would love to rename data model entities for end users, as we're using often more technical names for modelling and rename them directly for each visual.)
  2. I would love to actually move the selected values (but also rows and column entries) up and down just by drag and drop. If you want to do that now, you have to change the entries all individually. Use case: change the column order in a table visual.
  3. Table/Matrix visual: missing the ability to show/hide (sub)totals

Looking forward to what our users are saying 🙂

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @SujataNarayana,

Believe this is an excellent opportunity to improve the way users interact with reports and have more directed insights for the end user however believe that this needs to be relate led with some sort of user permissions and allowing the creator of the report to select what type of charts to use. 

For example my finance director is a pretty sharp guy and knows how to make pivot tables and charts on excel, however this is with information he formats. In Power BI é does not know how to do anything other than consume reports. 

In PBI since the datasets are made by others if you ask a user that does not knows the setup of the data you can have incorrect conclusions and people will get back to the user that create the report.

Further more having all type of visialization allowed can also get incorrect numbers or visualization if you select the wrong field to the axis or to the values of a visualization you can have no results and again people will say that the report is not working properly so the cannot trust it. 

I know you are just starting with this and I reinforce that is a great feature but these improvements should be looked at. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.