Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new format pane (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new format pane so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog

223 REPLIES 223
jamunategui
Frequent Visitor

Visual zom slider not working for me: It appears disabled and there is no way to interact or activate it.

I like the new panel, it's clear and intuitive. 

Thank you

jkausalik
Advocate I
Advocate I

The new format pane is still terrible. Spent more time trying to get adjusted to it and I still feel like I need to perform way more clicks than necessary. The creation to 2 major categories with new sub-categories was a good idea but the labels used are not intuitive and thus render the search bar unhelpful. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I disable the new format pane in Power BI ?   

Once I have time available, then by all means I can learn how to use new format pane, but right now it's affecting my delivery time.

PhillipSutton
Regular Visitor

Had created a report which wasn't quite finished when did the upgrade.

I had created some buttons with names in them (the '4' ones just holding while finishing the build.)

image.png

New version seems to have dropped off option to edit these so am stuck with them - can't edit or create new to match others.

Can't be right?

Are you using a normal button or the navigator here? The text, fill, border etc. options are in the "Style" card. 

PDDP
Advocate II
Advocate II

The fact that there is ZERO positive feedback about the new formatting pane is telling.   The new formatting pane might look better than the previous version, but the functionality is terrible, and there are known issues that haven't been resolved (please don't ask me to list the issues, you will have a pretty comprehensive list if you read the 200 below comments).  Power BI is turning into SAP Lumira just to be clear, that is not a compliment.

Listen to your customers and roll back this update or patch it to include the option for the previous version of the formatting pane. 

Most users that are happy do not post here, they just use it, which what we see in the usage numbers. We have received positive feedback, especially from our new users coming into the product that are trying to learn Power BI for the first time.

We have been addressing the issues raised in this forum most noteably the user preference setting to help with the added clicks, creating search aliases to help with the new naming conventions, and quickly patching feature gaps between the old and new format panes. If we're still missing the mark here, I'd be happy to arrange a dedicated feedback call for you to share your perspective with the team. 

New users that are still learning how to use Power BI probably aren’t the best sample set of users when developing a roadmap for product enhancements/changes or determining if a change was successful.  To clarify, I am not saying that new users' opinions are not important, what I am saying is new users who are still learning how to use Power BI might not be the best audience when determining if a change is successful.  When evaluating feedback that will influence the future of a product/gauge success, I would personally value the feedback from users who have used the product for years and spent thousands of hours in the program over someone that has just completed the Dashboard in a Day training.

If my feedback will be heard and used to help with future product enhancements, I am happy to take the time to provide feedback. But if the call is just to make me feel like I am being heard, I'll pass.  I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Understood. To give a bit more context on our process, this feature was developed in partnership with our experienced PBI creators on our customer advisory team that consult with our premium customers and help to build reports daily. Along with their guidance we did multiple rounds of user testing with both new and experienced users while in concept development. We always slowly roll out new features to a group of MVPs (also experienced users) that are under NDA before the public even sees the new feature to gain early feedback. This was positively received by the MVPs as well.

Myself and the team are ready and willing to make needed adjustments to make this new format pane work for you and your organization. It will definitely be valuable to hear your feedback. Please send me a private message with your contact information and I can arrange that call.

How do you know those that use it are "happy" and not just silent about their upset because they see posts like these which make it clear there's no chance you'll actually do something about it? I'd love to see Microsoft do an actual poll on this topic instead of making these baseless claims. Are the "new users" more important than your current premium customers who are upset?

This post sounds very patronizing and feels like you are suggesting the userbase is the problem, not your product. I'd be happy for a dedicated call. What are you looking to gain from this feedback call that isn't already listed in this thread? Will you actually take any action based on our grievances? Will you enable the old format pane until the new format is actually ready for prime-time?

If you would like to be included in the feedback call please send me a private message with your contact information and availability for next week.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I had so many issues with the new format pane when using bookmarks, that I had to turn it off in order to complete my project(s). The new pane version was causing all kinds of weird behavior with the bookmarks. At this time, I developed another tool, with some conditional formatting in it, and all works well. In the meantime, Power BI desktop updated to use only the new format pane. I cannot go backwards to the old format pane. Now I need to move this tab into another report with the same exact data and measures in it, but when I try to set up all the formatting, I'm receiving errors. The new version will not let me use the same measures for the conditional formatting that I was able to set up in the old version. It seems the tab that was set up using the old format pane functionally works in the latest version, but now that I need to set the same thing up in the new format pane version of Power BI, it will not allow me to select the same measures for the conditional formatting. They are greyed out. I'd be happy to show this to the Microsoft team. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I am setting it up exactly the same and it will not allow me to do so. I'm not perfect, but in my experience, these situations usually end up being bugs. So frustrating. I don't want to tell my customers that I can't do what they asked for, but I may have no other option.

Hi Shelley, yes trying to follow up with the team on this one. Might need you to submit a support ticket so we can take a look at the report: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/support/

Hi Shelley, looks like we need you to submit a ticket.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@RosieL I submitted a ticket, but I have no idea where it went or what number it is. I finished and it took me directly to Power Platform Admin center.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@RosieL  Case 2206210040009221

Adam01
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi There,

I appreciate the option of having the new formatting pane when it was in preview, however I had it turned off by default as i thought it was inferior to the new pane. 

I personally did not see anything wrong with the old formatting pane, so why fix someting that wasnt broken in my eyes? At the very minimum it was nice to have the option to switch between old and new, so why was this removed?

To me, it benefits all users to have the option to select which formatting pane they prefer (old or new) instead of forcing all users to adjust to the new pane (as it could jsut be down to personal preference as to which they wanted)? I now need to re-find where everything is which means more clicking and finding which can become frustrating very quickly! Especially since I knew where all the options were off by heart on the old pane, or had muscle memory to find it more easily compared to the new pane.

As I say I appreciate the update, but I believe users should still have the option to choose between having the old pane or the new pane as the default setting. Especially since the new pane is still volatile in my eyes as it may change in the future meaning the community will have to adjust again

Apologies for rambling, just my thoughts.

sqlbi_swathi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

In Matrix visual, not able to change the Subtotal labels.If you have multiple sub totals they all are all labeled as "Total".
I was able to do that before by going to old formatting pane but with the new one,Subtotal label is greyed out and not able to type anything.

sqlbi_swathi_0-1655408093861.png

I'm also having this issue. Just thought to check through the comments to see if someone else is affected. Here's the screenshot

Loltta_0-1655749067503.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I posted this same issue a couple of months ago.  I have not moved to the June version, but it sounds like they are forcing the new pane now and it still contains bugs that were reported a while back.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.