cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirby_l Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Share your thoughts on the new filter pane

I do not like the new filter pane.  All of its features should have been developed into the old vizualization/filter combo pane.  The new pane takes up too much space when developing.  Also, I have to uncheck the box and hit OK in the New Filter Pane popup everytime I open a report in PBI Desktop.  You need to turn that off!  That is ridiculous.....I will never willing use that filter pane. 

cpaquet Visitor
Visitor

We use it but there are a couple issues that don't help with adoption:

• hiding/unhiding the filter pane is very clunky. I have users where it disappears on them right in the middle of a presentation. Clicking on the "reset to default" doesn't help in this case either. The default state has the filter pane enabled, but when selecting "reset to default" it disappears.
  • the scrollbar also disappears. You can scroll the filter pane up and down by using the scroll button on your mouse, but most users are unaware of it. It would be helpful if it was a cleaner, easier experience for the end-user.
  • the input field in the filter page are completely blank when there's values selected. It would be helpful if we could see the text (for example "basic filtering", "advance filtering").
cseaman Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Love the new filter pane, very intuitive.

I sometimes have same-named fields between different tables, and it would be nice to know which "Status" field this is , especially if they're both filtered, which happened today...with the added real estate in the filter pane would there be a simple way to (optionally) display the table name as well?

katigges Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

The new filter pane takes up too much space when I am working in desktop. The working space becomes very difficult to see and workth with when I am looking at the filters and the vizuals at the same time.

I wish when i clicked on a filter if a check mark would appear next to the table it applies to.

Shikha_PBI Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

HI cpaque,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Could you share a video or screen shots on how to repro these issues? This will help us to check if it they are bugs or working as expected.We should be able to provide a fix for issue/s.  

limosa_15 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

don't want to tick the box every time I open a report that I do not want the new filter pane in existing reports.

As comments below, it takes up too much space and is encouraging our users to filter things we don't always want them to. We will place a filter box when we explicitly want filtering to occur.

MitieFred Member

A follow-up on my comment regarding using a button on the View ribbon, a simple check-box, just like is already used for Bookmarks, Sync slicers etc. would work perfectly, rather than having the eye or the continual (annoying) pop-up at opening of files.Capture.PNG

jmcl70 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Don't like it. It is a redundant option, creating less report space. Additionally, How can I do to remove it permanently?:

Every time I open a report, it shows up the new filters, even I already click on Got it and unclick the option to use the new filters pane. Its a nightmare.

Still I love Power BI

sk18 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello @limosa_15 ,

If you don't want your end users to see/interact with the new filter pane , you can click on the eye icon in the filter pane to hide it. This will ensure that end users cannot see the filter pane when they view the report.

SteveCampbell Established Member
Established Member

Can we default off the visual level filters? I like to have report or page level filters, but rarely want users to apply visual level filters. Most users I develop for are non technical / Exec type who have limited experience of Powwer BI, and often this is confusing for them. Currently very time consuming to manually turn off every filter.

A bit like this Idea submitted.

Love hearing about Power BI tips, jobs and news?
I love to share about these - connect with me!

Stay up to date on  linkedin-logo.png
Read my blogs on  powerbi.tips_.png

Remember to spread knowledge in the community when you can! tu.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Users Online
Currently online: 148 members 1,468 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: