cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvionMarie Helper II
Helper II

Re: Share your thoughts on the new filter pane

Hi there, I think the new filter experience is great, it has really enhanced my reports and saved space having to inset my own filters. 

I have 3 suggestsions as feedback:

1. Can this be made available on reports published to the public web?

2. Could you have a toggle on/off for the option number counts displayed next to the filter options? I use a lot of filters from related tables so the numbers/counts shown next to the options aren't relevant (often show as 1 if they're dimension tables) and this causes confusion to readers!

3. Is it possible to have the option to position the pane on the left as well as the right? User feedback has been they're used to seeing filters on the left in other applications so for continuity they'd prefer it to be on the left. 

Many thanks 😀

willmj

Adding a Measure or Calculated column as a visual level fiter on a card visual breaks. It allows you to add the Measure or Calculated column, but you cannot edit the values for either of those. This looks like more of a bug with the "Lock Filter" functionality than anything.

jawilson808
Frequent Visitor

Allow for a hierachy to be used in the new filter pane. Its a bit silly that you have to add a filter for year, month and day instead of just one filter. 

Telkontar Advocate I
Advocate I

I was hoping, that nev release woudl finalty let me turn off the new filter panel.
For me is useeless, because it takes to much space, and most of my filtering is done in Dax.
Some like it so let it be, but give us the option to turn it off pernamently, not till next opening of file. It's so annoying.
Because of that (and lack of dark theme) i'm looking for diffrent software.

seanatron
Regular Visitor

The most annoying thing about this is being forced to see this pop-up everytime I open a window. I do not want to offer this feature, i have very specific reports with built in filters, if a user were to filter outside of that the point of the report is lost. Please stop force-feeding this to me and please retain the ability to remove the completly unneccesary filter pane, it takes up way too much screen area and the filter process within the visualization pane was perfect.

marcus_hb
Regular Visitor

Like many people already mentioned, it takes up too much space. But my biggest issue right now is that each time that I start PBI I get reminded about this ridiculous new feature. So now I have to constantly uncheck the box asking me if I want to use it, then hit "Got it" before I can start working on a report, which is all getting quite frustrating.

I know about the feature already. Any ideas to get around this?

Abraxus Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @marcus_hb ,

Website glitched out on the first attempt so please forgive the abbreviated post, but in my case I avoid that issue by keeping the checkbox you mention checked, and instead deactivating the filter pane everywhere else, then saving the file/report in question. It's perhaps annoying and a little laborious if you don't use the filter pane at all, but once each file has had the filter pane forcibly deactivated and then saved, Power BI will respect that upon reopening (even though the inference would suggest the opposite), and as a bonus you won't get that message asking you to try it either. Just make sure that box is checked first, THEN deactivate the filter pane everywhere else, then save the file. It should reopen okay thereafter.

Also, you'll obviously have to repeat the deactivation process everytime you create a new report. Hope that helps!!

tbrown77

@AvionMarie  -

I 100% agree with suggestion #2. Our readers have questioned this silly number on the filter pane many of times. It almost delayed the release of a public dashboard! 😮

Can we please have the option to turn this count off?

Thanks,

Tyler

ksinger2
Frequent Visitor

Hi Power BI Filter Pane Team,

The new flter pane experience is great and allows for more real estate.  However, I agree with @AvionMarie's second suggestion.  We use the filter pane with Power BI Embedded for a public facing website and the largest complaint is the numbers in the filter cards.  Can you allow for turning the numbers off with a Live Connection?  Also, to reduce report viewer confusion, can you add the ability to save hide/show filter cards with Bookmarks?

Thank you!

Katie

ksinger2
Frequent Visitor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Do you need help in Spanish? Check out our new Spanish community section.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

We've launched a how-to forum where you can learn about how Power BI integrates with other Power Platform products.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors