Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Share your thoughts on the new filter pane

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new filter pane so we can continue to improve.

-Power BI filter pane team

104 REPLIES 104
InSadly

It would be perfect, I'm giving access to 10,000 records ... but when publishiong on the website so that anyone with an internet connection can see the report, the filter does not appear. It is fine if 'securely embed this report in a website' - but that does not seem accessible without a power BI account.

Is this the behaviour you expect - or am I 'Publish to web' wrongly? 

SQLguy
Advocate I
Advocate I

I like the new filter pane because it has allowed me to eliminate many (though not all) slicers that used to take up a lot of room on the right side of my report canvas. I would second a few things that many others have mentioned before, such as adding the ability to edit interactions with visuals, sync filters with slicers for each field, and choose a slicer-like appearance to select date ranges.

However, from my team's perspective, the most glaring functionality gap is the lack of a "Reset to default" button in full screen mode (or a Refresh button, for that matter). Because of this, our manager is making us manually add buttons with bookmarks that restore the default filter/sort state on each page. Updating the bookmarks gets really tedious because we have to update the bookmarks on each page when we make changes to the visuals.

It would also be great if there was some indication on the filter pane itself of whether any filters had been set at any level (visual, page, or report). The reset to default button in the toolbar indicates this by changing the color of the button to yellow and making it active. The Filters pane should do something similar. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to provide feedback!

Agree! An "unselect all" button is a MUST!

Steve_Sheppard
Advocate I
Advocate I

I really hate the new filter pane and I REALLY hate that you keep prompting me to turn it on. When building reports screen real estate and positioning is really impoirtant and the filter pane breaks this experience. If you want to do something useful to save time, how about enhancing the ability to set default options on visuals, like having borders turned on by default. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Filter Pane takes up too much space/real estate on the Reports section. Original version worked well and was much better. Overall, thumbs down for new Filter Pane.

Danclee14
Regular Visitor

Hi

I've disabled the new filter pane on my desktop version of my power bi report, however whenever i publish the report it automatically defaults to the new filter pain? Would you be able to advise how I can stop this occuring

Thanks

@Danclee14 ,

If you have "New Look on" in the Power BI Service you will see the new filter pane . So try setting the "New Look off" and you should see the old filter pane. You can find the "New Look" setting at the top right corner of the page .

Hope that helps

mjmowle
Advocate I
Advocate I

The Filter pane is very cool and this suggestion is more of an enhancement to the experience:

Allow a user to not only have access to filters, but also have the ability to manipulate the hierarchy of a Matrix Table's Rows.

We have a lot of Excel Pivot Tables we are migrating into BI that have several layers of Rows such as, Responsible Domain - Product - Workgroup - Primary Skill - Resource Name - Assigned Task and while not all permutations would be sensible, there are still 6! = 720 possible combinations that could be had with this.  When we create a Matrix table, and publish it to the cloud, the hierarchy is what it is set at.  Now, we have used bookmarks and such to enable a limited number of row order variations but inevitably, someone senior enough to matter wants yet another variation.  Could a method be devised to allow the end-user to dynamically order the rows to suit their specific needs in a future release?

@mjmowleThis sounds like a fairly common scenario, but not one that would be solved in the new Filter Pane. 

May I suggest setting up a Q&A button on the report page, then seeding that with some pre-defined questions that render your data into a matrix. Try something like "show <metric name> by product and primary skill as a matrix" .

You may also have to teach some people how to manipulate basic matrix charts that get rendered by Q&A.

But I get your frustration. Someone high up the food chain asks, "Can I see it this way?" and so the BI developers spend precioius cycles coming up with the answer and once finally presented, said person says, "Oh, I was only curious because we had a situation that warranted that analysis, but that was 3 months ago. Not relevant now."

Also try the User Voice forum for feature suggestions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like it.  Would like to see the same "edit interactions" functionality that the slicers provide.

Is there a way to make is so that Bookmarks do NOT affect the status of the filter pane (expanded or collapsed)?

I want my bookmark to honor the current status of the filter pane when a user clicks a button that is tied to a bookmark. If the filter pane is expanded, keep it expanded. If it is collapsed, leave it collapsed. 

You can configure a Bookmark for the following 'things': Data, Display, Current Page. You should add "Filter Pane" to that list.

finnm1

I agree it does not need to be its own pane.  If you keep it please adjust the colors to look like the other panes because it is difficult to read.

Soares
Frequent Visitor

I'm not using the new filter pane for various reasons:

1. The main reason is that I don't have the "Sync Filters" option. For example, I have reports that I want to filter pages 1, 2 and 3 by Year and Month and pages 4, 5 and 6 only by Year and this is not possible;
  2. It should be possible to edit interactions between filters and visuals;
  3. The date filter should have a single selection calendar type filter where we can chose a specific day without choosing the hour;
  4. It should be possible to hide all visual level filters or an option we can choose the group of filters that we want to show in the filter pane. I want my users to see only the filters I chose not the filters for every single field present in each visual. The three different groups of filters can be confusing to the end user;
  5. Each filter card should have an option to allow or not allow the end user to change the filter type (Between Basic, Advanced or Relative).

When these points are implemented, I will switch, for now I'm still using my slicer pane.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that filters are broken down into 3 areas:

1. Report Level (all pages)

2. Page Level (all visuals on a page)

3. Visual Level (only the selected visual)

I'd love the ability to hide certain levels (instead of each individual column) from users ... for example - we give users a set of report level and page level filters.... but when they click on a visual ( for example a "report export" type of table visual): It gives them almost all the metrics and dimensions as "Visual Level" filters.... However, the users are unaware that the Visual Filter is not filtering the entire tab or page which causes them confusion.  I understand that we have the ability to manually filter each column on a given visual, but it would be nice to have a way to turn on/off for the whole list or even hide all Visual filters from the report. 

Also, something I realized is that when you save a filter type - for example "Relative Date Filtering" it only saves this on Publish to PowerBI Service on Report and Page Level filters.... Not on a specific visual filter. 

kirby_l
Advocate I
Advocate I

I do not like the new filter pane at all.  It's in the way.  It's ugly.  It creates a massive amount of unessecary blank space in my report.  This is especially annoying since Power BI desktop looks different when the report area is forced to be smaller, and also resizes the length and width of my visuals by 1 point.....throwing the entire page off.......when I move visuals around when they are small because of the extra space taken up by the poorly made new filter pane.   It was fine the way it was before.  Now, I have to uncheck a box and click "OK", every single time I open a report.  Some members of my team keep accidentally clicking OK without unchecking the box, then need my help to fix their Power BI because it automatically adds the new, terrible filter pane to each report they open.  This is a pain for everyone in my office.  Because of this "we will shove this new feature in your face until you use it" additude, I am tempted to find a new BI analytics platform for my company to use worldwide.  I'm so incredibly tired of having to tell Microsoft "No, I do not want to use your new filter pane" everytime I open a report.........NO MEANS NO........STOP ASKING.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I quite liked the feature where you can lock certain fields in the new filter pane.

However, I also have an image which when clicked opens up a dynamic URL of the report itself, with a filter option selected.

I thought I would be able to lock the filter with the value selected. But when the dynamic URL is hit, it does what it is ought to & the filter pane showed me two listings of the same field

1. The field which is locked from filtering

2. The same field which is dynamically selected with a certain value passed along with the URL, unlocked.

If this doesnt work for my scenario, I am not sure what is the use of lock filter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don't like it. It's simple I just deactivate it on every new report I create. I think it takes too much space for what it does and that I prefer to scroll down just a little bit for exactly the same result.

Please at least give us the option to:

1- don't have the message that ask us if we want to switch to the new pane EVERY time we open a report

2- keep the old pane on all the new reports we create

Thx

vmakhija
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@SujataNarayana 

Thanks for starting this post.

There are lots of useful comments/suggestions provided by different users which I can myself relate to and are much needed.

Can you update everyone on what all improvents are in pipeline or are planned?

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Take off the row counts please, or allow a Toggle Off - to the end report consumer, these make no sense and are confusing!!!

100% agree with @Anonymous about the row counts, they shouldn't be there and are confusing.

grahamEFOP3R90E
Regular Visitor

Having to click everytime PowerBI is loaded to close a message about a new pane is annoying. Do Microsoft get paid everytime a user has to click on something?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.