cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SQLguy Advocate I
Advocate I

Re: Share your thoughts on the new filter pane

I like the new filter pane because it has allowed me to eliminate many (though not all) slicers that used to take up a lot of room on the right side of my report canvas. I would second a few things that many others have mentioned before, such as adding the ability to edit interactions with visuals, sync filters with slicers for each field, and choose a slicer-like appearance to select date ranges.

However, from my team's perspective, the most glaring functionality gap is the lack of a "Reset to default" button in full screen mode (or a Refresh button, for that matter). Because of this, our manager is making us manually add buttons with bookmarks that restore the default filter/sort state on each page. Updating the bookmarks gets really tedious because we have to update the bookmarks on each page when we make changes to the visuals.

It would also be great if there was some indication on the filter pane itself of whether any filters had been set at any level (visual, page, or report). The reset to default button in the toolbar indicates this by changing the color of the button to yellow and making it active. The Filters pane should do something similar. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to provide feedback!

InSadly

It would be perfect, I'm giving access to 10,000 records ... but when publishiong on the website so that anyone with an internet connection can see the report, the filter does not appear. It is fine if 'securely embed this report in a website' - but that does not seem accessible without a power BI account.

Is this the behaviour you expect - or am I 'Publish to web' wrongly? 

asocorrocognex
Frequent Visitor

How about:

1- A setting to hide all visual level filters by default.  Users find it confusing that clicking on a visual, sometimes not on purpose, reconfigures the pane.  And for tables with more than a couple of fields the pane gets really crowded.  I always hide them and keep only page and report filters.

2- Filters on filters, just like for slicers.  That way the functionality is almost identical.

Thanks!

andres777 Advocate I
Advocate I

We should have a separate marker for options that affect Reports on the Web Service vs Desktop only.

Also ,

I'm having issues with Service Reports remembering last state, even thought I turned off every option that suggests filtering.

Maybe it's a web page cache issue ?

satak
Regular Visitor

Hi Power BI filter pane team,

I like the new Filter pane and hard working on moving the slicers to the filter pane. I really want the same kind of "Edit Interactions" function for fields in the Filters pane as we can do for any other visual. We can not move all the slicers to the filterpane because of this missing feature.. For some page/report filters we want to disable the interaction with specific visuals or elements. We really (and urgently :)) need this.

Thanks in advance!

CourtneyB
Frequent Visitor

I like the new filter plane from a client/user perspective because it is easier for our clients/users to understand what they are looking at. As far as a developer I agree that it takes up a lot of space and to have to hide each filter for visuals if you dont want it to be seen, would be nice if it defauts to be hidden. One thing that I think would be extremely helpful is if there was a way to select tabs that you want to include/exclude from the "Filters on all Pages". I know if sounds a little odd but the reason for this is because if there is one 1 tab that you don't want to have the availability to use a specific filter that is in the all pages filter then you have to add it to each page filter and the client/user has to go to each page to update the filter if they want it changed from the default. 

Example: If i have a 10 tab report and i don't want to give the availability to have them filter on 2 of them, they would have to go to the remaining 8 tabs to update/change the filter to be what they want instead of just doing one filter.

VivianC
Regular Visitor

I don't like the new filter pane. I forced myself to let it be for more than half year - I kept telling myself "new stuff gotta be good, you just need to get used to it", but I took it off, can't take it! Not just me, several other analysts from different teams randomly asked me with a "I hope it is not just me" face:"hey do you like the new filter pane?" I was like in "shaking hands" mode: "no I don't either."

1. It always in the way. If my filter/box/card is with small fonts, the filter pane button is always in the way, people can't click or see stuff; it annoys me when I edit the report too. 

2. It cannot be enlarged. When we create the report or dashboard, the viewers more likely to use the filter that I put on the page - it can be enlarged as well. New filter pane, well first, you need to tell people it is there, you can open it; second, it cannot be enlarged - if it is a long list, it is really not convenient and then I still need to put a regular filter on the page.

Highlighted
Krampis
Regular Visitor

Filter pane is great! Please add option to hide Visual filters altogether (not just field by field).

Wjbodkin

New Filter pane looks great. However we cannot turn on/off interactivity. We still need to use the old slicers to achieve this. We would really like to clean up our real-estate with the new filter experience.

Thank you,

Bill 

sk18
Frequent Visitor

@Wjbodkin ,

You can lock the new filter cards to prevent interactivity for certain filters in the filter pane. Also, you can hide the filter cards as well in case you don't want it to show up as an option at all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors