Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
809 REPLIES 809
bmacknz
Advocate I
Advocate I

turned it on, then off almost immedietly - I really hope this doesn't become a part of the actual UI and is forced on us.  I thought the on-object would be a quick way to get at a simple fix or edit but that the visualizations pane would still be 100% as is, with the list of fields and related objects.  As soon as I saw that was not true, I turned off the feature.  I need to SEE all my fields, in my face, expecially when there's an error or I'm dealing with dozens of visuals and need to edit each one.

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I tried the new UI, but didn't like it at all. It looks sleek, but is very counter-productive:

1) An extra click is required to add data to any visual

2) On laptop (small screens), you can't see all data fields at once, it requires scrolling up/down to add data, which is time-wasting and huge pain to work with any visuals, especially those have many data fields like tables

3) If a visual is on left side of screen, to drag/drop data fields from "data" pane on right side of screen, the travel distance is now MUCH longer, this alone makes the new UI almost useless. In the past user can drag/drop data fields between "Data/Visualization" next to each other much faster

Speaking as huge PBI fan - this new UI is NOT for serious business users. It turned simple, fast, straightfoward UI into a clustered menu taking a lot more clicks/time to achieve the same thing. It is the opposite of LEAN. Bugs like not showing error fields (exclaimnation marks) is also big turn-off. 

I hope it does't get implemented, or at least give user an option to keep the old way.

Capture.JPG

hugowinkelhorst

I turned it off after a few hours. The UI is less intuitive the options are much more scattered and not all options like adding fields for your drill down filters are available. The visualizations pane is a lot easier and user friendly and a lot quicker (less clicks).

DeBIe
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Hey, another question.

I would expect to see which column is giving me the error of the visual. 

DeBIe_0-1679410015357.png

DeBIe
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Looks very intuitive but I need some time to get used to it!

Question tho, I would like to make the size wider of the values popup screen. To know which measure it is, I need to hover on it now. 

DeBIe_1-1679404429715.png

Wellington1981
Frequent Visitor

Bug 2.pngBug.pngYou made serious mistakes in this new version.
All grouped objects lose their properties. When we have an object that is grouped, the properties that appear are the properties of the page, and not of the object, when they do not belong to the previously selected object and not to the current object, it is a mix of properties, which in most cases do not belong to the selected object..
The size parameterizations are wrong, showing that an object cannot have an indicated size, if we add the number to the parameter box, but if we manually stretch the object it works without problem.
In the ntive Funnel visual, it is not possible to drag the items that we add to the values up or down, changing the position of the metrics. For it to work, I had to exit the page, re-enter and refresh the visual.
Microsoft is once again releasing tools without doing the most basic tests.

All my objects are in groups. I am experiencing the same issue, all my formatting options are completely gone. Despite clearly having a visual selected, the formatting page thinks its on the page level. I am now forced to use this preview feature despite it lacking key features. Also just super frustrated how the amount of clicks to accomplish things keeps increasing.

Please Microsoft invest in more QA resources. Minimal testing would have caught this major bug.

tamnm1601
Advocate I
Advocate I

I did turn off the preview switch because I don't see the Visualization pane which contains my favorite tabs: Build, Format, Analytic. I don't think this is an authentic upgrade of PBI but more like catching the trends to be similarly compared to other BI tools. You normally see people are complaining about hard-to-use PBI but it's just because they're new to the tool or switch from other platforms.

However, if you have to introduce the On-object, please don't turn off the 3 tabs mentioned. It's best to keep it there at the same place. Very handy and useful!

Coudn't agree more! Same thoughts. The new UI is hugely counter-productive for any serious business user. One-click adding data in the past now becomes several clicks and sorting through clustered menu.

gogrizz
Advocate I
Advocate I

Do not like this.  I turned it off.   The visualization toolbar is too important to put it into a pop-up.

MartenLiebster
Regular Visitor

Adding a Date column to a table - don't see an option to add just the date value, it just does hierarchy.  If I switch off On Object, there is an option to chose which format to add.

KenLoewen
Frequent Visitor

I've switched the preview feature back off as I find on-object difficult to work with as the width of the columns added to the visual does not well support longer column names. Off-object better uses the available screen real estate without obscuring other objects on the canvas and allows for adjusting the width of the fieldnames. Also, the on-object wastes a lot of space by making the objects taller and resulting in a lot more scrolling.

loxam98581
Frequent Visitor

Worst addition to PBI so far! Give us the option to disable this or use the old method. Took me 15 minutes to figure out where my **bleep** visualisations went

ElenaN
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hello,

I was trying this new functionality and i ran into an issue. While working on the formatting of a table i added a conditional formmating on one of the columns of the table that returned an error. However, after this point i actually could not use my table anymore as the visual returned 'Can't display visual. See details' and on the Format pane i get 'Something's wrong with the visual. Please fix the error to user formatting options'. Which i would like to fix if only i could only get to the options to change the fomula in the conditional formatting.

I deleted the column and restarted just to fix the issue.

Best regards,

EN

bjorn99_
Frequent Visitor

First of all I love the new feature and hope I can enable it again as soon as possible!

I work a lot with grouped selections for aesthetics reasons, think of slicers in a shape, all slicers grouped, cards on visuals etc.

Without the preview feature enabled I was able to select a group and adjust the size of all the items in a group at once. With the feature enabled I can’t adjust the size of a group and have to size all items individually, which results in odd ratios.

Hope you guys can fix this issue in the release for April!

bjorn99__0-1679321100567.png

stefanomagnasco

Hi,

Not sure if this question has already been asked (I can't find it in the thread), but I have a question about the new on-object interaction, specifically for the table visual: where is the drill-through fields well?

I want to set up a drill-through table in my report, but I can't seem to find where to add drill-through fields. I had to switch off the preview feature to do that.

Can you please direct me to the right place?

Thanks!

Stefano

Hi, 
Love the new update
Can we please have checkbox when selecting columns for a visual ?
it would be great.

Currently we have to select one column then again do add field and select another column..

Drillthrough set up moved to the page settings, you can see this part of the blog post for more details

JoeX
Frequent Visitor

Can you please show where this is after turning on the on-object interaction setting? It appears to be only visible when on-object interaction is off. 

JuanIArana

If a visual is selected and open DAX editor you can see this icons overlayed.

Captura de pantalla 2023-03-17 214231.png

Good work any way, love this new feature.

Juan

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.