Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tessahurr
Employee
Employee

Share your thoughts on DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

Hit Reply and let us know what you think of the DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services.  To learn more about this feature, please visit this blog post or our documentation.

Here are some areas that we'd like to hear about in particular:

• Performance
  • Query editor experience--the remote model query doesn't show up in the query editor and only in the data source settings dialog. What are your thoughts?
  • Navigator experience
  • Thoughts around governance and permissions for models that leverage this feature
  • Nesting models, i.e. building a composite model on top of a composite model
  • Automatic page refresh for live connect in composite models

Thanks and we look forward to hearing your feedback!

- The Power BI Modeling Team

531 REPLIES 531

Yes it's true, but now it doesn't work even with datasets that are in the same workspace.

@samaguire is right, you need to give proper (=build for now) permissions to all datasets in the chain.

@jeroenterheerdt  Is it still necessary to give access to the compilation of reports with more than one set of PRO licenses?

sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you please elaborate?

samaguire
Helper II
Helper II

Maybe this is a known bug? Refreshing two datasets where both datasets have a relationship between tables of the same name in both datasets causes a "Sequence contains more than one matching element" error.

I tried to workaround this (without renaming one of the tables) by setting the data load settings to not load in parallel, but no luck. (Given you can add the datasets individually without issue.)

BTW. discovered this when trying to pull together a report based on the two datasets, no fancy interlinking being done either.

NB: below pic has different table names showing, but underlying dataset has identical naming.

samaguire_0-1648186260504.png

I did find it interesting that this is an issue given the table exclusion rules are being set by lineage tag.

samaguire_1-1648186510243.png

interesting, thanks for reporting.

Thanks for this, I've just started getting the same bug and couldn't work out what it meant - for me it happened when I tried to build a new report on top of the working model, any refresh of the new one hit this error message, while the old one carried on working.  

No problem. That's why I shared. 👍

Leodie3

While we understand that a developer would require build access to all datasets in the chain, it is unclear to us why a reader would also require build access to all datasets in the chain (why not just read access). To us this is the main reason why we cannot use this -otherwise great- feature at this point as this way we would not be GDPR compliant. Will this change? Or is there perhaps a workaround?

thanks for the feedback - yes, this will change. Readers will just need view permission.

Can you share where this is on the roadmap? Thanks

sure - this is the major blocker for us to declare this feature general available. More news to follow soon on the blog.

Do we have any news regarding not using the construction issue in PRO?

nothing to announce, but we are still working on it and it looks on track.

Hi! This solution also interests us a lot, do we have any news?

this was launched on April 4th: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/update-to-required-permissions-when-using-composite-models-.... Please note that this is for Premium and PPU for now.

Hi - really pleased when this blog announcement came out.  I had every user who needed access to anything as a Member of the Premium workspace.  I've changed them all to Viewers but now multiple users are only seeing an error on any visualisation from 1 'base' dataset that's part of the composite model.  They can see visualisation from the others datasets that make up the model in the same reports, just not that one.  That report set is published by another user, from a SQL database, to the workspace.  Is this a known exception or should I open a support ticket?Example.jpg

please open a support ticket as this is not supposed to happen.

Good afternoon! How cool, our licensing here at the company is PRO, do you imagine that the resolution of the technical problems reported to enable the solution for PRO should be resolved soon?

"soon" is a relative term and I cannot give any timelines. However, we are working on it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.