Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tessahurr
Employee
Employee

Share your thoughts on DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

Hit Reply and let us know what you think of the DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services.  To learn more about this feature, please visit this blog post or our documentation.

Here are some areas that we'd like to hear about in particular:

• Performance
  • Query editor experience--the remote model query doesn't show up in the query editor and only in the data source settings dialog. What are your thoughts?
  • Navigator experience
  • Thoughts around governance and permissions for models that leverage this feature
  • Nesting models, i.e. building a composite model on top of a composite model
  • Automatic page refresh for live connect in composite models

Thanks and we look forward to hearing your feedback!

- The Power BI Modeling Team

531 REPLIES 531

How can I be notified when this is done?

monitor the blog (blog.powerbi.com) or social media 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

Getting the below message while trying to link 2 tables in one dataset to a date dimension held in another dataset.  Any plans to allow this behavour? or how would you suggest completing what would be a common scenario for us?

Thanks

island_error.jpg

No, this will not be supported. Either split your dataset your trying to relate into two or bring the hared dimension (DimDate) into both and leverage synced slicers. Also, I'd recommend watching SQLBI's video on this preview feature as well

Do you have a link to this video?

JoshAsh
Frequent Visitor

Are there any plans for support for calculation groups where a query is running in retail mode and the calculation group is defined on the remote model?

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-the-interactions-between-composite-models-and-calculati...

Almost all enterprise models will contain a calculation group for Time Intelligence that users are well accustomed to using. Alternatively would it be possible to show an error rather than an incorrect value where the measure contains both wholesale and retail execution and will therefore show unexpected results?

In that way the use of the calculation group won't return incorrect results. 

no plans, as SQLBI explains in the link you posted it might not even be possible, at least not with major investment.

FK3
Advocate I
Advocate I

Today I had a user who's getting this error from reports created using composite models.
"COM erros: Microsoft.PowerBI.AS.ConnectionDetailsProvider. Missing connection string password"
Cloud credentials for these datasets are working. We're going to submit a ticket, but posting here in case others are seeing the same thing or if there's a quick fix. 

matan_benyishay
Helper II
Helper II

1. Not being able to perform a refresh in the Power BI service with a Direct Query source is a major problem, especially if you've already spent many hours coding and formatting a report only to learn this!
    1. Message in Power BI service: "performing a refresh over a dataset with a calculated table or a calculated column which references a Direct Query data source is not supported within the Power BI service."
  2. Not being able to remove a Direct Query connection to another published Power BI dataset after adding it is a huge issue. If you don't have an iterative backup, you can get stuck without being able to publish. Especially if you're only just finding out the issue with not being able to refresh in the Power BI service!

Relatedly, I have also been getting silent failures to generate a code for a public embed. After I click publish, I get a spinner for half a second, then it disappears and no error message comes up.

This is working with all other reports that don't have Direct Query connections to other Power BI datasets. The project was to create an external-facing dashboard that compiles data from a number of sources, so it's important to embed this way (in a SharePoint page).

Embedding Power BI public.png 

Lizzy123
Frequent Visitor

@tessahurr is there any update on when this will be avaibale for Power Bi Embedded? Thanks for your help.

We are also eagerly awaiting support for Power BI Embedded - this is a huge blocker for us.  Any idea on a timeline for availability?

PowerBIW
Regular Visitor

"Select tables" in live connection not working. Every time when I select a dataset all the tables get loaded in and I don't see the pop-up window.

I have the November version and I have activated the preview for DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and AAS.

Is this something that I'm only facing? 

FK3
Advocate I
Advocate I

If you connect to a dataset and bring in selected tables, is there a way to get another table? Let's say you originally select 7 tables and then you realize you need an 8th one, can you bring in that table as part of the same model, or can you only bring it in by chaining a copy of that dataset? 

you can go back to dataset settings and add the missing tables.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Any planned support for SQL Server Analysis Services (E.g. on an Azure VM), or cross-tenant to PBI/AAS datasets?

Hi @Anonymous yes and yes 🙂 But we're dependent on the release of SQL Server for the support of SSAS. The other one is currently being investigated.

Hi all, some news on the plannes support for SSAS?

BR

SSAS support is dependent on the release of SQL Server, not sure when that is.

gerardcanals
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hey! This is a very nice functionality!

Let me ask you one question:

Is it possible to connect to Power BI datasets that are published from Microsoft Excel?

It try it, but when I select the dataset, the options of connect to another dataset disappear.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.