cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tessahurr
Microsoft
Microsoft

Share your thoughts on DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

Hit Reply and let us know what you think of the DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services.  To learn more about this feature, please visit this blog post or our documentation.

Here are some areas that we'd like to hear about in particular:

• Performance
  • Query editor experience--the remote model query doesn't show up in the query editor and only in the data source settings dialog. What are your thoughts?
  • Navigator experience
  • Thoughts around governance and permissions for models that leverage this feature
  • Nesting models, i.e. building a composite model on top of a composite model
  • Automatic page refresh for live connect in composite models

Thanks and we look forward to hearing your feedback!

- The Power BI Modeling Team

476 REPLIES 476

have you tried opening the report in Desktop and selecting Refresh?

Yes, it refreshes the dataset and shows new table names but that's the problem... all visuals are bronken because are using old tables fields.

Then only solution I got is to manually edit each report pbix Layout file, but it's not very convenient.

For anyone searching, this (dangerous) solution is described here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Modifying-the-Layout-file-that-is-embedded-in-a-pbix-file/t...

I created an Idea to address this question, can you help voting?

Renaming dataset measures can't break client reports (change reference from name to ID)

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=649ec802-682b-ec11-b76a-281878e608e9

Quentin
Helper III
Helper III

Looking and playing around i managed to have some cool things about Metric Usage!

Metric Usage are available at workspace level (generate it for one report and you have all reports for the workspace, however you cannot download the pbix) and at admin level (however you cannot make any modification there)

So i was able to create some usage metric (save as a copy) of some specific workspaces (production Workspace of some departments only), connect to these datasets in desktop and in DAX i join the tables via formulas like this one:

ViewersRanking_Global = UNION(ADDCOLUMNS(ViewersRanking,"Workspace","PRO"),ADDCOLUMNS('ViewersRanking 2',"Workspace","DEV"))

And this helps to create a fully customizable Usage Metric Dashboard with no need for API (that need refresh token the IT team may not give you)

Tell me if you had better ideas and if this is stupid 🙂 
ab14
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

I've a scenario where we've country master dataset where row level security is applied to restrict data based on the user's location. We've using this master dataset as a source for another dataset using direct query but the RLS applied isn't getting propagated. Is this by design or a limitation of this feature? 

DanRider
Frequent Visitor

Set up RLS on each individual model and everything will function as you are expecting.

I don't get the option to apply RLS on country table (coming from remote model/dataset) in my composite model. The table name doesn't appear when defining RLS rules in Power BI desktop. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything?

RLS does not flow from the remote to your local model. This is by design. Thanks for providing the feedback, though.

Thanks for the prompt reply. So in a use case like this, I assume using dataflows might be the next best option? Also, are there plans of introducing RLS from remote models to local in the pipeline?

we are looking at the RLS to local thing, but it's a lot of work and to be honest, not a lot of people have asked for it. Please vote on it on ideas if you want this to happen. Dataflows could be a option for you.

olgaia
Advocate I
Advocate I

After a lot of trial and error, I realized what exactly was the reason for some users not being able to see the report with the composite model. Turns out that only the users for whom "Allow XMLA endpoints and Analyze in Excel with on-premises datasets" is enabled, can see the full report without problems. Others get an error. ("Cant display this visual")

This is a problem for my organization because I can't grant this right to all users and makes the feature completely useless for us.  Very sad because we were very excited about the opportunity.

I am sorry to hear that, but it's clearly listed on the blog and docs that you need to enable XMLA / Analyze in Excel. This feature depends on it and cannot work without it.

I understand. Just surprised and sad that it is also needed for the viewers... Makes it unusable in our case...

Our situation is as follows: we have a big dataset with all the data and all the reports are based on it. Some people are only allowed to see volume columns, others can also see columns with actual $ values. It is our understanding that we cant use RLS or similar to hide the $ columns from people who are not supposed to see them  (Spinning them into another dataset is not an option). If we give everyone in the organization the XMLA / Analyze in Excel option, the people who have access to some reports will be able to access also all the columns in that case, which is not acceptable... Are we thinking correctly? Thanks!

why cant you use RLS? can you not set RLS on the composite model?

Because we would need column-level security. We do have row-level security set up. Basically, think of the data like this:

RegionVolumeProfit
Region 11112
Region 22122

We have RLS set up sp that a user can only see data from Region 1. But we also need to be able to say that within that region the user can only see the column Volume, but not the column Profit.

Its ok if we only expose the Volume column in the report they are allowed to see. But once we give everyone access to Analyze in Excel, they will be able to see all the columns (indeed, only for their region but also the columns they arent supposed to see).

Right? 

right, so this is not a question about RLS, but about OLS 🙂 we are still defining the exact interaction with OLS, so stay tuned for that.

soldous
Helper III
Helper III

Hello,

I don't know if this question was already posted but I'm facing quite an important user unfriendliness with the nesting of the datasets.

When I use more datasets from different workspaces to create a new one and publish it to the app it's not enough to grant access to the users through the final app but I need to also grant build permission manually to the original datasets. 

Is it going to be solved to grant build permission automatically for all users from the final app?

Thank you for your answer and for your work.

I ran into the same problem and microsoft pointed me to this idea and I am advocate for voting on it.  The feature provides little value to enterprise (PBI Premium) customers.

Microsoft Idea  · Directquery for datasets only needs read permissions on all datasets (powerbi.com)

thanks - although we are already looking into it, every vote counts!

KeithCoxAuto
Helper I
Helper I

Is there any plan to have one remote dataset filter more than one table in another remote data set?  I get an error that this is not supported currently.

I.e. a custom calendar that should have a relationship with both 'Leads' table and 'Accounts' table's "createdon" fields. 

which error do you get?

Helpful resources

Announcements
September Update

Check it Out!

Click here to learn more about the September 2022 updates!

Power BI Show episode 9

The Power BI Community Show

Watch the playback when Priya Sathy and Charles Webb discuss Datamarts! Kelly also shares Power BI Community updates.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 26

New Date - Check it Out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, October 6 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Top Solution Authors