Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tessahurr
Employee
Employee

Share your thoughts on DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

Hit Reply and let us know what you think of the DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services.  To learn more about this feature, please visit this blog post or our documentation.

Here are some areas that we'd like to hear about in particular:

• Performance
  • Query editor experience--the remote model query doesn't show up in the query editor and only in the data source settings dialog. What are your thoughts?
  • Navigator experience
  • Thoughts around governance and permissions for models that leverage this feature
  • Nesting models, i.e. building a composite model on top of a composite model
  • Automatic page refresh for live connect in composite models

Thanks and we look forward to hearing your feedback!

- The Power BI Modeling Team

531 REPLIES 531
Anonymous
Not applicable

Date format strings are getting changed to default format while converting from live connection to Direct query this is not expected behaviour.

songbirdsemo
Regular Visitor

Hello,

will RELATED an LOOKUPVALUE be supported in a future release? 

I hate to say no, but since this is a DirectQuery connection, I would have to say 'not likely', as those functions are not supported on DirectQuery sources in general.

saurabhroy9
Regular Visitor

Hi Team,

Scenario : I am trying to connect (live/import) to a Azure Analysis Service dataset on (Tenant A) from Power Bi desktop (on Tenant B).

I am to 

* successfully connected (live/import) to the AAS dataset (on Tenant A) using PBI desktop (Tenant B).

* Successfully published the PBIX file with the AAS dataset (Tenant A) to PBI service (on Tenant B)

But not able to run the report or load the file on the PBI service (Tenant B)

For a Live connection to AAS dataset 

* It throws the error "Cannot load model

Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again."

Eventhough the connection to the AAS dataset (on Tenant A) runs file without error. I am able to refresh the dataset but this doesn't get loaded to the report

For an import mode : 

I get the attached gateway error. I have installed the personal gateway and  Changed the account running the Gateway from the default service account to a domain user. Seems like the gateway service account (Tenant B) is not able to impersonate the Tentant A login credentials.

Is there a limitaion in using DirectQuery to AAS dataset between two different tenants ?

Any help is highly appreciated

live connection error.pngimport connection error.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue as you.

tchristy99
Helper II
Helper II

I can't seem to share the reports generated from the model without making them at least a contributor in the workspace (Which I can't do for several reasons).

this is expected - people need at least "build" permissions to view reports built using this feature. We are looking at changing this.

Hi there,

We also experienced this last week. 

Another team could not share a report built on a Direct Query Composite model with their workspace App viewers uness the following were satisifed:
a) Those viewers are "allowed live connections"  (Tenant Setting).
b) They have build permissions on the original dataset. Interestingly enough, the app viewers did not need build permissions on the subsiquent dataset, (the one that's been changed). 

This is not true at the moment actually. The "build" permission does not work. You need to be member of the workspace, the source dataset is located in. I have a bug ticket open on this one and the fix is due at the end of April

We found only build permissions were necessary on the source dataset. I.e. in order to view reports from the subsiquent dataset, a user requires build permissions on the original dataset

You are correct. The build permission of the source dataset (And not the dataset actually being referenced) does solve the problem! Still not ideal, but its better than nothing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tessahurr  An interesting feature.

We can now build a customizable dashboard on Power BI report itself. Gave a demo to our client also.

Can we use this in production?  Really curious, when will this be generally available?

hi @Anonymous thanks for tring out the preview! Glad you like it! You cannot use this in production as of now as it is still in preview. We are not at liberty to discuss timelines here, unfortunately, but stay tuned!

fbouckaert
Frequent Visitor

Gave it a try, adding an excel spreadsheet to a report based on Azure Analysis Services and it works great in Power BI Desktop.
But when I publish it to Power BI Service, and try to open the report,
I get the message 'There is no gateway to connect to datasource xxxx'.

xxxx is the datasource to AAS
The orginal report works without any issue in Power BI Service.
The original report uses live connection, that was changed to a direct query when I added the connection to the excel.

I am not able to replicate this. The gateway is required for the Excel sheet. You do not need the gateway to connect to the AAS source. The moment you set up the gateway for the Excel file without doing anything to the AAS source, the error disappears.

GBASL0

Can I have a composite model on a dataset that is a direct query on Azure SQL DB?  When I go to get data the options to add another dataset are greyed out?

yes, you should be able to do that, that functionality was already available before this preview.

gengxuefei
Frequent Visitor

Get the following error message when creating a column refer to the dataset in direct query mode:

An unexpected error occurred (file 'xldqas_defmgr.cpp', line 224, function 'DAXDefManager::AddVariableOrInlineExpr').

Any word on what the issue is here? I get the same error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The following error occurs: Couldn't load the data for this visual.
Can't display the visual. See details
(The resultset of a query to external data source has exceeded the
maximum allowed size of '1000000' rows). Please tell me, will this problem be fixed?

2021-03-01 15_26_39-Window.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm facing the same issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.