Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tessahurr
Employee
Employee

Share your thoughts on DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

Hit Reply and let us know what you think of the DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services.  To learn more about this feature, please visit this blog post or our documentation.

Here are some areas that we'd like to hear about in particular:

• Performance
  • Query editor experience--the remote model query doesn't show up in the query editor and only in the data source settings dialog. What are your thoughts?
  • Navigator experience
  • Thoughts around governance and permissions for models that leverage this feature
  • Nesting models, i.e. building a composite model on top of a composite model
  • Automatic page refresh for live connect in composite models

Thanks and we look forward to hearing your feedback!

- The Power BI Modeling Team

531 REPLIES 531

We are looking at the next major release of SQL Server. The feature name is "...Azure Analysis Services" on purpose 🙂

Thanks that is helpful information. We will keep and eye out for the feature. 

ggaudfroy
Advocate I
Advocate I

C'est la nouveauté de 2020!

Joli cadeau de Noel!!

psolli
Advocate II
Advocate II

@tessahurr We are currently building models and testing it. So far it looks fantastic. This is the new Holy Grail of Business Intelligence. Power ON will report back with all findings shortly.  We will be making some very exciting anouncements soon for the Power BI Community as well. Just need to make sure it is all there.

Must be a very excting day for the Product Team. Congratulations!

Per

sam_xlpowerbi
Frequent Visitor

Game changer - however the performace is quite poor even on small data sets (30 K) rows

Cheer Sam

can you give us some more details on the scenario here?

n8ball
Helper I
Helper I

EDIT: I see sort by column is not currently supported in the documentation.  Sorry posting before seeing that.
Loving it so far. One possible bug I have found is that converting from Live Connection to DirectQuery for PBI datasets breaks sort by column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.