Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joeytsui
Helper I
Helper I

Share report with RLS

Hi All,

Im a beginner on power bi desktop, and i just create a report and set up RLS under "Manage Roles"

I view the report as the role which i assigned, and the data is correct.

Then i publish the report to a specified workspace, and view the report by using  the user under these roles, the data is correct.

but the user cannot edit the report to add more viuals.   so that i edit the workspace's privacy to "Members can edit Power BI content". 

After the privacy changed, the user can edit the report but they see all data and able to access the dataset.

May i know how can i allow user to edit the report base on RLS and don't allow them to access/download the dataset ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@joeytsui,

If this facility of RLS and Edit permission is required for only one person, then in such case, I would suggest that instead of creating RLS, filter the data that the user is allowed to see in Power BI Desktop and publish the report, then share him/her the report with edit permissions.

But this is not good if you have multiple users requiring a similar thing.

That's the most likely way out...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@joeytsui,

Well that is not possible.

When ever you make a user as an Admin for a workspace, then RLS won't work for that user.

Similarly if you give edit permission to a Workspace, then the RLS won't work for the reports in that workspace

RLS will only work for the Read Only Members of a Workspace

See the below link for reference

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-app-workspaces-in-power-b...

@Thejeswar

Thanks a lot.  Is there any alternative way to preform such function ? 

Best regards,

Joey

@joeytsui,

If this facility of RLS and Edit permission is required for only one person, then in such case, I would suggest that instead of creating RLS, filter the data that the user is allowed to see in Power BI Desktop and publish the report, then share him/her the report with edit permissions.

But this is not good if you have multiple users requiring a similar thing.

That's the most likely way out...

@Thejeswar, thanks a lot, let me try. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.