Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fcavalli

Share free version reports

Hello, 
I work for a public organisation and we start to develop our DW, but with a very low budget.

We use Oracle as RDBMS, Pentaho PDI for ETL, and, today, Pentaho Schema Workbench + Pentaho Report Analyser for the presentation layer.

I like PDI, because we dont have too much problems with data quality, but when I want to create cubes, and reports, the Pentaho tools are very cheap.

We pay the Hitachi support. In four months we have had two importants problems without answers...
I search doc and the doc is cheap...
The public forum is cheap...

But it's no easy to change platform. I would like to know if with the PowerBI free version we can create a good BI platform and how we can distribute reports (always with free version). In this way I can demonstrate the differences with Pentaho.

If we will buy the pay version, the support is easy to contact? With Hitachi only two people in the organisation hare autorised to call.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Power Bi Service with free license is a way to learn and model about Power Bi. However the pro license will become useful when you want to deploy and share with other users.

The only way Power BI free license can share is publishing a public link url with the reports. Public means that any device that opens that link in browser will see the report. This kind of feature is not recommended for private data. The link can be used in an iframe inside a web site to get a bit more security but it will be a public link inside the html code. You can see an example of this in this web site: www.ladataweb.com/informes

The difference between licenses is that the pro users can share and be shared with reports. The free can only work in a personal workspace that can't share.

Maybe this link can help to understand a bit more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-licensing-organization#license-types-a...

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.