Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Share data source

Good afternoon, my name is David. I tell you my situation to see if you can tell me or if it is possible what I am trying to do.

I have several postgresql databases hosted on RDSs on a private network. In a virtual (e.g. hostname: VM1 - power bi account VM1@... com) on the same network I have Power BI desktop, I can correctly load all those databases from data sources and view the tables. Now the topic is as follows, I need to be able to access those sources from other computers outside that network. It is possible to share from power BI the accesses to those origins, we are talking about different email accounts since it would be for several users.

I clarify by the doubts:

-I can't use a VPN to be on the same network as rds.

-The information of the postgresql bases when they are updated must be reflected in power bi automatically.

-Access permissions should be managed from Power BI

-You would not have to enter access credentials to the RDS in each user who needs to have access, you should be able to share directly from Power BI.

The idea of all this is that several users can access the data of the databases and generate reports without having to interact directly with them or provide them with access data.

Is it possible to do this? Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Good, in case someone has the same problem I could already solve it.

From the VM I connect to the Postresql database and create a dataset with the data I need. I published it so that it appears in My workspace, then I share the dataset to the users I need to access. Once this is done from power bi desktop you have to connect from Get Data -> Power BI Datasets.

Done this we will be able to access the tables but the inconvenience will be the data update from the RDS base since it does not replicate automatically and gives error if you give it to update from the power bi website.

To avoid this it is necessary to install a gateway, in my case in the VM since it has access to all the RDS. Then you have to configure it to connect to the necessary base (see some gateway configuration tutorial) and so it can be updated automatically. The only inconvenience is that you only have 8 automatic updates per day.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Good, in case someone has the same problem I could already solve it.

From the VM I connect to the Postresql database and create a dataset with the data I need. I published it so that it appears in My workspace, then I share the dataset to the users I need to access. Once this is done from power bi desktop you have to connect from Get Data -> Power BI Datasets.

Done this we will be able to access the tables but the inconvenience will be the data update from the RDS base since it does not replicate automatically and gives error if you give it to update from the power bi website.

To avoid this it is necessary to install a gateway, in my case in the VM since it has access to all the RDS. Then you have to configure it to connect to the necessary base (see some gateway configuration tutorial) and so it can be updated automatically. The only inconvenience is that you only have 8 automatic updates per day.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.