Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Share data gateway datasource with other users

Hi all,

So I have setup a data gateway to my on-premise SQL server. Is it possible to share this datasource somehow with other users in my organization?

They need to be able to connect to the datasource in PowerBI desktop. Important thing to note is that they dont have direct access to the SQL server from within the network (they are in another location).

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

Just a small modification

When You add a user to a gateway-datasource,:

• He only gets access to publish using the data source. i.e. his user can make use of the gateway for that data source

But for publishing to a workspace, an access to the workspace is required. When he/she is given access to workspace, he/she can

• Edit published reports with this datasource
  • Edit anyother report in the workspace (When the report is designed in Import Mode)

He cannot:

• Create new reports with this datasource in PowerBI desktop (unless he has direct access to the on-premise SQL database of course)

Hope it is clear

Regards,

Thejeswar

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous,

Yes you can share the data gateway.

The Below steps would work

1. Create a datasource connection in your data gateway

2. Add the Id with which the datasource is to be shared as the owner for that data source

3. Now the reports have to be published the ID which is the owner of the data source.

Alternatively, any report published using the ID with which the Gateway is configured will also work

Hope this works for your case!!

Regards,

Thejeswar

Anonymous
Not applicable

I configured the gateway and datasource and I have set the other user as the administrator of the gateway and as the user of the datasource.

One question remains: where can the other user find the datasource in PowerBI desktop?

@Anonymous,

I am sure what you mean by saying "Where can the user find the data source?"

The Data Source is visible only in the gateway cluster section.

Since a database will be configured in the data source, the users (whether the data source is accessible or not) can develop and publish the reports using the data base configured inside the data source. It with the ID that is set the owner of the datasource, the reports have to be published. As the gateway is associated with the user, the connection to gateway will be automatically granted to those reports

Regards,

Thejeswar

Anonymous
Not applicable

So to be clear:

When I add a user to a gateway-datasource, this user can:

• Publish these reports

He cannot:

• Create new reports with this datasource in PowerBI desktop (unless he has direct access to the on-premise SQL database of course)

Right?

@Anonymous,

Just a small modification

When You add a user to a gateway-datasource,:

• He only gets access to publish using the data source. i.e. his user can make use of the gateway for that data source

But for publishing to a workspace, an access to the workspace is required. When he/she is given access to workspace, he/she can

• Edit anyother report in the workspace (When the report is designed in Import Mode)

He cannot:

Hope it is clear

Regards,

Thejeswar

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.