Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shamatix
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Share dashboard outside organization / domain

Hey fellow users of Power Bi,

I am trying to share a dashboard with someone outside my domain, and sure he gets the email and when he presses the link within the email he can see the dashboard, but is it really correctly understood you have to open your email and find this email every single time he wants to see this dashboard? It aint displaying under "Shared with me", besides from that I noticed there is a lock next to the dashboard name when he is viewing it? Aint there any way he can simply view the dashboard within power by WITHOUT having to open the link up from his email every single time ?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shamatix,

AFAK, current external user can only access by click on the share the email link. Perhaps you can submit an idea about this requirement.

Share a dashboard with people outside your organization

When you share with people outside your organization, they get an email with a link to the shared dashboard, and they have to sign in to Power BI to see the dashboard. If they don't have a Power BI Pro license, they can sign up for one after clicking the link.

After they sign in, they see the shared dashboard in its own browser window without the left navigation pane, not in their usual Power BI portal. They have to bookmark the link to access this dashboard in the future.

They can't edit any content in this dashboard or report. They can interact with the charts in the report (cross-highlight) and change any filters/slicers available on the reports connected to the dashboard, but can't save their changes.

Only your direct recipients can see the shared dashboard. For example, if you sent the email to Vicki@contoso.com, only Vicki can see the dashboard. No-one else can see that dashboard, even if they have the link, and Vicki has to use the same email address to access that dashboard. If she signs up with any other email address, she won't have access to the dashboard either.

People outside your organization can't see any data at all if role- or row-level security is implemented on on-premises Analysis Services tabular models.

If you send a link from a Power BI mobile app to people outside your organization, when they click the link the dashboard opens in a browser, not in the Power BI mobile app.

Reference link:

Share dashboards with coworkers and others

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shamatix,

AFAK, current external user can only access by click on the share the email link. Perhaps you can submit an idea about this requirement.

Share a dashboard with people outside your organization

When you share with people outside your organization, they get an email with a link to the shared dashboard, and they have to sign in to Power BI to see the dashboard. If they don't have a Power BI Pro license, they can sign up for one after clicking the link.

After they sign in, they see the shared dashboard in its own browser window without the left navigation pane, not in their usual Power BI portal. They have to bookmark the link to access this dashboard in the future.

They can't edit any content in this dashboard or report. They can interact with the charts in the report (cross-highlight) and change any filters/slicers available on the reports connected to the dashboard, but can't save their changes.

Only your direct recipients can see the shared dashboard. For example, if you sent the email to Vicki@contoso.com, only Vicki can see the dashboard. No-one else can see that dashboard, even if they have the link, and Vicki has to use the same email address to access that dashboard. If she signs up with any other email address, she won't have access to the dashboard either.

People outside your organization can't see any data at all if role- or row-level security is implemented on on-premises Analysis Services tabular models.

If you send a link from a Power BI mobile app to people outside your organization, when they click the link the dashboard opens in a browser, not in the Power BI mobile app.

Reference link:

Share dashboards with coworkers and others

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Just blows my mind people have to either bookmark the many links or find their emails... they have a perfect "Shared with me" tab that could be used for this, and it feels kind of unprofessional and stupid to explain to customers they need to bookmark it every single time they get a new dashboard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shamatix : i am in the same boat . How did you solve this asking customers to book mark the reports instead of sharing option 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shamatix : i am in the same boat . How did you solve this asking customers to book mark the reports instead of sharing option 

I never found a good cheap solutions.

What we do now is create a new "mailaddress" in side our domain, and give that user out to the customer.

If the customer want multiple users they will have to pay up for the additional users.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shamatix :thanks for your reply . so you are saying that now user can login to app.powerbi.com for collabration of reports?. i think in this case you provide the pro license for the new email you created in your domain and shared to external user?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shamatix :thanks for your reply . so you are saying that now user can login to app.powerbi.com for collabration of reports?. i think in this case you provide the pro license for the new email you created in your domain and shared to external user?

Hey there,

Yes the customer purchases a pro license through us on a yearly basis.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shamatix : Thanks for your quick reply again . i will reach out if i need anything more on this external sharing . Your help is highly appreciated

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shamatix : I have one detail question  currently i am working on reports sharing to external users through the sharing concept where external  users can accept the invite and login into the report .  But in your case users have the pro license . I think you have worked on both the options . Did you any large impact to users if they license instead of not having it ( I know few like they need to bookmark the report links where they dont have collbaration ) apart from this did you see any other usefulness of using the license by external users?. If yes can you share them please reason for asking is i may not know them which may be needed by them . Currently i am into intial dev phase .

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shamatix : I have one detail question  currently i am working on reports sharing to external users through the sharing concept where external  users can accept the invite and login into the report .  But in your case users have the pro license . I think you have worked on both the options . Did you any large impact to users if they license instead of not having it ( I know few like they need to bookmark the report links where they dont have collbaration ) apart from this did you see any other usefulness of using the license by external users?. If yes can you share them please reason for asking is i may not know them which may be needed by them . Currently i am into intial dev phase .

Hey there,

The users need a pro license either way, either in their own domain or ours.

The main difference is, if they have a pro license in their own domain they have to bookmark the report, cant make dashboards, and they wont have you report next to all their other reports (huge downgrade in my opinion)

While if you make them a pro power bi license inside your own domain they get access to a lot of great features inside https://powerbi.com they wouldnt have gotten access to if you had just shared it out side of your organisation.

It's also a struggle using power bi on mobile phone if you are sharing outside of your own organization.

I hope the above answer makes sense.

Best regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shamatix : Really wonderful reply but just to correct you . User may not require the pro license when the content is shared from premium workspace.

I have one more question may be detail since you have RLS implemented what kind of permission you have given at workspace level . I hope this should be just view content perission right?.

If view content permission is given then will the user even with pro license will not be able to download the report or save the report to his own workspace and create or build the self service reporting right?.

In this case of using RLS how this can be tackeld any idea or suggestions?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shamatix : Really wonderful reply but just to correct you . User may not require the pro license when the content is shared from premium workspace.

I have one more question may be detail since you have RLS implemented what kind of permission you have given at workspace level . I hope this should be just view content perission right?.

If view content permission is given then will the user even with pro license will not be able to download the report or save the report to his own workspace and create or build the self service reporting right?.

In this case of using RLS how this can be tackeld any idea or suggestions?

Ah ye sorry, thought you were talking of only pro licenses, didnt know you had a premium license (lucky you).

But ye I am working in a small company of 5 people and power bi aint out main product, so buying a premium license is out of the question.

Regarding permissions, you can deicde ya self on a report / dataset level whether or not they shall be able to download the dataset or not.

We do not allow our users to download any content, the reason for this being we have around 300 customers and we have made a standard report containing all the customers data and closed it down by using roles.

This way we only really need to update 1 report and not 300 different reports.

I hope the above makes sense.

Best regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shamatix : do you have any experience in powerbi embedded ?

Shamatix
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Are the user really supposed to bookmark this dashboard when there is a freaking "Shared with me" tab??? This seems so stupid=/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.