Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Share Power BI report

Hello

I have a report created in a premium workspace. My intention is to share that report with multiple users (some premium and some not) from several different roles. I'm giving access to those users (each in their role) through the dataset's security settings, but some users aren't seeing the report and when they try to access they get the message to switch to PRO, but at no point does it show them the report.

I understand that if the report is hosted in a premium workspace there should be no problem if the user I share with is premium or not.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

6 REPLIES 6
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin ,

Yes, a free user can access workspaces to view assets with a P level SKU, which you have.

Take below steps:

1. Remove User from the Viewer Role and save.
  2. Allow about 15-30 minutes
  3. Re-add User as viewer role in the workspace
  4. Before user tries again, they will need to delete browser history and cache (all time range) and then login again and try and see if it will work.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hello

What do you mean by this phrase:"A free user can access workspaces to view assets with a P-level SKU, which they have."?

Thank you.

Hi  @Syndicate_Admin ,

Sorry for the late reply.

P level means a premium capacity.

Is your issue solved now?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

It's hard to say what you are doing wrong. I can confirm that Premium is a capability based licence and users can access with a free licence. You don't say what security settings you are using. I suggest you: 

* publish the premium workspace to an app

* add the users to the app (in the app settings)

* if you are using RLS, you need to separately add the users to the role in the workspace as well. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hello

Then, as you say, a free-licensed user should be able to access a report that I share to them if they are hosted in a Premium workspace. What could be failing then? Because some users tell me they can see it, but others don't.

The option to publish it in app is not possible in my case, at this time.

Thank you.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Syndicate_Admin , please refer to  this question in the given link, which should answer your question "Can you outline a scenario of how Power BI Pro and Power BI Premium work to cover an organization for Modern BI?"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-faq

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.