Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adidriksen
Regular Visitor

Shape map with coordinates and .json file

Desired result 

Sample data

I have a dataset containing data about houses, including coordinates, and I have a .json file outlining a map of Germany (see "sample data" above). I would like to create a shape map in which, for example, the median "Miete/Kaufpreis" ("Rent or purchasing price") dictates the color - which could look like (see above: "desired result").

My first problem is: I seem to be unable to create a shape map from the .json file. No matter how I try importing the file, no matter what field I try dragging into the "Location" section of the Shape Map, it only ever shows 1: an empty map of the US or 2: a grey square.

My second problem: I can't seem to find any way to connect the latitude and longitude coordinates from the .xlsx file with the geoshapes outlined in the .json file.

Are you guys able to create the type of map I'm after, and how? Any help to get any step closer to my desired result would be tremendously helpful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @adidriksen ,

Maybe this blog can help you:

https://radacad.com/how-to-do-power-bi-mapping-with-latitude-and-longitude-only 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
adidriksen
Regular Visitor

progress 1.png

Simplifying a copy through Mapshaper did the trick for letting me use it as a map! I didn't see the relevance to my own case when I glanced at the post yesterday (embarrassed about it now). Thank you very much! Is there any chance Power BI could now plot my sample data on the map using the latitude and longitude columns?

Hi @adidriksen ,

Maybe this blog can help you:

https://radacad.com/how-to-do-power-bi-mapping-with-latitude-and-longitude-only 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

@adidriksen there was a post here yesterday with a similar issue.  Someone more familiar with this solved it, not me...but maybe it can help you?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.