Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DQuigg
Advocate III
Advocate III

Shape Maps Status in Power BI

Does anyone know the status of shape maps in Power BI for ISV's using the API?  I keep running into dead ends.  I need to plot U.S. Census tract shapes (I have all of the files) and associate them with a census tract number.  The shape file in preview looks promising - I can upload the shape file to the shape visual preview and it displays it but I cannot find any way to associate it with the census tract number.  Plus it is limited to 1,000 shapes which is awfully small. 

This seems like such a basic piece of functionality and yet so few options.  I am looking at Mapbox as a possibility but it is expensive for commercial use (especially for such a basic need).  We are working with a number of cities and have a working partnership that makes this an essential. 

Thanks for any sage wisdom from anyone out there!

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DQuigg

Please refer to this article to know considerations and requirements for Shape Map,

eg.

The Shape Map visual will plot up to a maximum of 1,000 data points.

For your requirement, you could vote for this idea.

Make Power BI Mapping Interact With Census Tracts

Best Regards

Maggie

Maggie,

The shapes visual looks promising but there is no way that I can see to attach the census ID to the shape in the visual. Also the 1,000 limitation is awfully low. There are more census tracts than that in a number of states.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.