Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GebauerAnalytic
Frequent Visitor

Shape Map selection resets other Shape Map

I'm attempting to make a widget for sales executives to be able to carve up salespeople territories via county selection, and to that end, was putting two maps on one page in order for the executive to more easily compare one territory vs another. I would like the shape map to influence the matrix to its right and vice versa, but have absolutely nothing to do with the map/matrix combo above/below. Silly me, I thought it was just a matter of changing Edit Interactions such that Map1 filters Matrix1, Matrix1 filters Map1, Map2 filters Matrix2, and Matrix2 filters Map2.  But for the life of me, I cannot get the top to act totally independently of the bottom. I've tried:

1. Edit Interactions. While one Matrix isn't affecting the other, clicking something on one shape map resets the other one.

2. 'Drilling filters other visuals' is grayed out, apparently because my data isn't hierarchical. I would assume that having it disabled means it shouldn't affect my stuff, but maybe I'm wrong.

3. Options and Settings -> Options -> Current File -> Query reduction has three buttons available that seem to have some effect on filtering. I've tried them in every combination I can think of, and they either disable the matrix from showing data or just break the link between map and matrix altogether. 

4. Options and Settings -> Options -> Current File -> Report settings has a few more settings mentioning filters that I've tried to mess with, but nothing seems to do anything relevant to my problem. 

How can I make it so that I can have different selections active on each map simultaneously, along with matrixes showing the data behind the map to its left?

PowerBI_Example2.PNGPowerBI_Example1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi again @GebauerAnalytic ,

To keep execs happy... This may work for you with less overhead.

Duplicate your filter table and create this as a look up table.

Extract the data for reporting to execs and create this as a stand a lone table.

I created an example and uploaded so you can trial if this is an option.

The sample data I found for USA is too large though so please filter when testing as required.

USA MAP PBIX TEST

Note, Alasksa filters only right hand map and right hand table with data.

CLICKING STATE FILTERS ONLY UPDATES RIGHT HAND MAPCLICKING STATE FILTERS ONLY UPDATES RIGHT HAND MAP

Cheers,
Maria

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MariaP
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @GebauerAnalytic ,

Perhaps the community knows  a better way, but I duplicated the map data and then used one table for the top visual with slicers from that table and the duplicated table for the bottom visual and slicers from the second table. 

This may be too large an overhead for you data though. Not sure how many calcualtions you require, but it does allow independant display.

Cheers,
Maria

Data coming from 2 different tables - duplicated original table.Data coming from 2 different tables - duplicated original table.

Yeah, displaying every single county on a Shape Map is already overtaxing Power BI's resources. I'm fairly certain the execs wouldn't put up with the lag time between clicks if I duplicated all datasets. 

Hi again @GebauerAnalytic ,

To keep execs happy... This may work for you with less overhead.

Duplicate your filter table and create this as a look up table.

Extract the data for reporting to execs and create this as a stand a lone table.

I created an example and uploaded so you can trial if this is an option.

The sample data I found for USA is too large though so please filter when testing as required.

USA MAP PBIX TEST

Note, Alasksa filters only right hand map and right hand table with data.

CLICKING STATE FILTERS ONLY UPDATES RIGHT HAND MAPCLICKING STATE FILTERS ONLY UPDATES RIGHT HAND MAP

Cheers,
Maria

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors