Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Several graphs to be updated - most efficient way?

Hi, 

I've recived a report with several graphs and tables. The report was made as a "pilot project" and all the data/transactions included was fixed between 2018-2019 YTD June. Now when the report will go-live, we have connected to the underlying databases to show the latest data available (monthly basis). 

My challenge now is that there are several graphs with different set-up of dates, e.g filtering on Jan-18...June-19 (monthly bars), or filtering only on June-19 (YTD calculation), or filtering on Jan-19....June-19. I'm thinking of different solutions to create a scroll-filter on the frontpage, e.g. choosing Oct-19 (latest figures) and all the graphs different date filtering shoould be updated accordingly.

Anyone could give me some tips before I spend too much time building something inefficient.

Many thanks, 

A

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can make a common table (if im understanding right) and connect it to all of your dates on your tables.

What i mean is to create a date table to connect it, you can do it by calendarauto() or calendar(min([datefield]),max([datefield])) but i would advise you to use the second option.

Let me know if it worked.

BR,

DR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Duarte,

Thanks for the suggestion but my issue is that I have four different date filters for graphs ( see below). Jan2018...June2019, or jan..june, or Jan2019...June2019, or June

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

The data set will also contain data/transactions for upcoming months (e.g. December 2019 are already available for a few data transactions recorded).

I would like to have a Scroll-list on the frontpage where the user could e.g. enter "October" - and all the different filters above will select everything to October (or only October for the case with one month only)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get it know, you can make it the same wat but you have to prepare that table and the rest.

When you create that table with the date series then you can make relationships between them so it recognizes all the data.

I would advise to set all in date format on your tables and then connect to that table, after that you use the new table's data to define the date on the visualizations, then you can filter by just one.

Let me know if I could explain my self and if it helps.

BR,

DR

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a date table linked to the other tables. Problem is that some graphs use just one month for YTD (e.g. Sep only) and some other graphs use all months to date (e.g. Jan....Sep). When Sep is choosed, I want some of the graphs to add months and some only have one month.

Let me know if you need more explaination.

Thanks,

Andreas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you present your diagram and your dates tables?

Probably PBI can't identify the years of those dates and when filter filter every month that coincides.

BR,

DR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Duarte, 

Sorry for late response. Unfortunately, I cant share the data as its confidential. I have created a date table, connected to the transaction table. Problem is that there are so many graphs and tables with different use of the date filter (as presented above) - e.g. YTD where only "September 2019" is checked, and monthly where Jan....Sep are checked. If the user would like to see October update (the transaction table can however be including transactions in November and December as well - but these are transactions booked for the future). 

I would like to have a "month drill-down" functionality on the first page of the report, where the user could check "October" and all the graphs should be presented correctly (e.g. only check "October 2019" in some graphs date filter, and "Jan....Oct" in others).

Please let me know your ideas

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.