Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

audslloyd43
Frequent Visitor

Setting up incremental refresh

Hi

We have a query to help with forecasting which now has 10 million rows at source and taking forever to refresh. 

I want to set up incremental refresh to only load the last month. 

Previous years data is already imported to the file. When I set up the refresh parameters and Click & Apply its as though Power Bi is running through the 10 million rows and I've given up waiting for it to complete.

Can I implement incremental refresh without having Power Bi seemingly run through all records of data? 

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @audslloyd43 

Do you configure incremental refresh correctly?

Please check steps below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-incremental-refresh

Capture11.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No. The first refresh after you make structural changes will always be a full refresh (unless you use ALM Toolkit).

On the desktop you can artificially narrow the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameter default values to only work on a subset of the data.  Then in the incremental refresh setup you can specify how you actually want it to be partitioned.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.