Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sue
Frequent Visitor

Setting default program to Power BI Desktop

My team updates Power BI Desktop with each new release. However, the current Report Server version was installed on my laptop this morning, and now that is set as the default program associated with all of my .pbix files. I tried to "open with" and select the current Power BI Desktop version instead, but still only the newly installed Report Server version is listed as an option.2 folders: 1 Power BI Desktop, 1 Power BI Desktop RS2 folders: 1 Power BI Desktop, 1 Power BI Desktop RSChoosing current non_RS Power BI Desktop programChoosing current non_RS Power BI Desktop programOnly version listed is Power BI Desktop RSOnly version listed is Power BI Desktop RS

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Sue ,

I'd like to suggest create two shortcut with different power bi versions , then you can drag pbix file to correspond shortcut to open report with specific version.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Will it associate the file I choose with the shortcut I drop it in going forward, or would I need to drag the file to the shortcut every time I want to open it? If the latter, it is not a good solution, as my team has numerous pbix files saved on various shared locations that we all use regularly.

Hi @Sue ,

Maybe you can do custom on 'open with list' to add those different versions apps:

How to Include an Application in the Open With Dialog Box
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.