Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sbenzaquen
Helper I
Helper I

Setting a reporting date

Hi,

I need help to find a solution to the following problem:

I'm building a report that summarizes how time is spent within the organization which is updated on a monthly basis. The trends for the last month are obviously more relevant i.e. total time spent , growth from previous month...etc. I'd like to find a way in which I set the reporting date as of a specific month i.e May-21 so this is reflected in the different KPI cards and visuals. I found a way to achieve this by using filters, but I'd like to know if there is a better way that is less manual.

I'm pretty new to powerbi...

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Salvador

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @sbenzaquen ,

I create some data:

vyangliumsft_0-1624512737277.png

Here are the steps you can follow:

Create calendar.

Date = CALENDARAUTO()

Report transaction time as of Mar-21:

Create measure.

report transaction time as of Mar-21 =
var _select= SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])
return
IF(_select=DATE(YEAR(_select),3,21),
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[transaction hour]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[date]=_select)),
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[transaction hour]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[date]=DATE(YEAR(_select),3,21))))

Growth vs. prior month:

1. Create measure.

This month =
var _date=SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])
return
CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[amount]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[date]>=DATE(YEAR(_date),MONTH(_date),1)&&[date]<=_date))
Last month =
return
CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[amount]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[date]>=DATE(YEAR(_date),MONTH(_date)-1,1)&&[date]<=DATE(YEAR(_date),MONTH(_date)-1,DAY(_date))))

2. Using [Date] in the Date table as a slicer, put [This month] and [Last month] into the KPI.

vyangliumsft_1-1624512737281.png

Result:

vyangliumsft_2-1624512737284.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @sbenzaquen ,

I create some data:

vyangliumsft_0-1624512737277.png

Here are the steps you can follow:

Create calendar.

Date = CALENDARAUTO()

Report transaction time as of Mar-21:

Create measure.

report transaction time as of Mar-21 =
var _select= SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])
return
IF(_select=DATE(YEAR(_select),3,21),
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[transaction hour]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[date]=_select)),
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[transaction hour]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[date]=DATE(YEAR(_select),3,21))))

Growth vs. prior month:

1. Create measure.

This month =
return
CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[amount]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[date]>=DATE(YEAR(_date),MONTH(_date),1)&&[date]<=_date))
Last month =
return
CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[amount]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[date]>=DATE(YEAR(_date),MONTH(_date)-1,1)&&[date]<=DATE(YEAR(_date),MONTH(_date)-1,DAY(_date))))

2. Using [Date] in the Date table as a slicer, put [This month] and [Last month] into the KPI.

vyangliumsft_1-1624512737281.png

Result:

vyangliumsft_2-1624512737284.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sbenzaquen , You can create a new column like and use that to set this month or last month

Month Type = Switch( True(),
eomonth([Date],0) = eomonth(Today(),-1),"Last Month" ,
eomonth([Date],0)= eomonth(Today(),0),"This Month" ,
Format([Date],"MMM-YYYY")
)

you can use time intelligence for MOM

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
last month Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),previousmonth('Date'[Date]))

Power BI — Month on Month with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-mtd-questions-time-intelligence-3-5-64b0b4a4090e
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LUBbvcxtKA

Thank you, but this doesnt answer my question.

I know about DATEADD function

However I like to set a variable/paramenter so the dashboard provide information for a specific month.

For instance if the report is for Mar-21. I will see in the report transaction time as of Mar-21, growth vs. prior month....and other measures I calculated

If report is for Dec-21,I will see in the report transaction time as of Mar-21, growth vs. prior month....and other measures I calculated

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.