Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JWO16
Frequent Visitor

Setting a default value for slicer

I have created a matrix in PowerBI which I'm using to display some project data, and have included a couple of slicers to help people get at the info that they need.  I've dropped in a few fields from my 'Portfolio' table and it seems to give me everything that I need in terms of calculations. 

The bit that I would like to change though is one of my slicers - based on a field called 'PortfolioStatus' which identifies if something is Past, Current, Future, Unknown.  If I don't make a selection then all of the data is brought back, but I'd much prefer it if it displayed 'Current' by default and without someone having to select it.  I think the other 3 options will not be used as often and the default option would be of help but it seems to reset.

Is what I'm asking for possible in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JWO16,

AFAIK, current slicer does not support setting default values. Perhaps you can try to create a bookmark to save the filter effects and bind it to a button actions, then you can simply use it to restore the selections as default value.

Create report bookmarks in Power BI to share insights and build stories - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Create buttons in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JWO16,

AFAIK, current slicer does not support setting default values. Perhaps you can try to create a bookmark to save the filter effects and bind it to a button actions, then you can simply use it to restore the selections as default value.

Create report bookmarks in Power BI to share insights and build stories - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Create buttons in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

I might be missing something but I think if you just set the value and save the pbix in power bi desktop that then becomes the default value when you publish.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@JWO16 

Unfortunately you cannot do it from the default slicer of PowerBI.

There is a custom visual though that you can download from AppSource called 'power slicer'.

On this visual you can select a default value

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.